Which router plane? Veritas or Lie?
Veritas. Mostly because of the flexibility and add-ons, but its a fantastic tool.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(11-07-2017, 12:52 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: A little birdie told me that I'm getting a router plane for Christmas, but also told me to figure out which brand to get.

I've never used a router but already see how useful it will be for me.  I've also never owned any of Lie's or Veritas' tools but I know they're well regarded as high quality tools.  I'm leaning towards the Veritas because it has the option of the fence.

Can any of you offer your thoughts, particularly if you've owned/used both?

I own a LN router plane. Very happy with the plane.
(11-12-2017, 12:18 AM)amtc Wrote: I own a LN router plane. Very happy with the plane.
Greetings from Antioch,

I have the LN small (271) and Lager (71) as well as old Stanley models. They have all seen some use. All that I have are open throat. I have used and do prefer to the closed throat versions for most of my applications.

The ergonomic advantage of the LV versions may be better for some folks.

I prefer the feel and am happy results from my LN--closed versions will happen sometime. :smirk:
Madison: If men were angels, no gvmt would be necessary and if angels governed men, no limits on government would be necessary. Because neither men nor their governments are angelic, gvmt and limits on government are both necessary for ordered liberty.
I have the LV router plane and an old Stanley 71.  The main reason for buying the LV was the accessories.

My biggest complaint is the locking screw mechanism.

The cutter will still move up and down even with the lock screw tight.

Had to do over, I would go with the LN.

Can't beat the old 71 though.
(11-13-2017, 11:31 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I have the LV router plane and an old Stanley 71.  The main reason for buying the LV was the accessories.

I had the same problem with my LV router.  I contacted them and they replaced it.  It should NOT move when tightened by hand. New one does not flinch even with heavy cuts.
(11-13-2017, 11:31 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I have the LV router plane and an old Stanley 71.  The main reason for buying the LV was the accessories.

The problem with your LV is a stuck spring in the locking mechanism ...

[Image: Router-spring2_zpsiha9zwvz.jpg]

It is likely that the piston is not extending, and this is why it is not locking.

[Image: Router-spring3_zpsppx7gdt6.jpg]

Pull it apart and lubricate. It should work fine then.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(11-09-2017, 11:32 AM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: Uh huh, and what if their roadshow doesn't come within a reasonable driving distance or you have to wait 6 months to a year for that show to happen? I get one woodworking event near me for about 300 miles that has any real vendors at it.

If that one event is not Showcase/Totally_Turning (which looks to be ~30 miles from you), then you should definitely check that out. I very highly recommend it. It is a long drive for me, but I will do it again when I get the chance.
Yes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
SMPR,  I really like the LN large Router Plane that I own and use regularly.  Sharpening is pretty easy for me, because it's such a small edge.  It does not take much work.  I suppose if I line up the features on paper, the LV version has more capabilities.  But I actually prefer the aesthetics of the LN model.  I have never needed anything other that the 1/4" straight blade.  I've used it in grooves, on tenon cheeks, hinge mortises and a variety of odd little cleanups.  The way the depth stop works is totally intuitive, simple and effective.  There have been a few times when I thought that a small router with an outboard blade might be a bit handier, but those situations have been rare.  Bill