Which router plane? Veritas or Lie?
I have the LV and some Stanleys and the ergonomics of the LV feel better to me. I also like that there are more cutters and the inlay accessories for the LV. If I were in your situation, I would call both companies and ask if I could buy it and return it if I didn't like it. That way you could try both and see which feels better to you. I would also suggest getting the closed mouth version. You can always turn the cutter around for bull nose work.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I would not knowingly buy something for the purpose of trying it out and returning it if it doesn't turn out to be the first choice.

The vendor will suffer a loss as the tool cannot be sold at its full price in many cases.

Simon
Veritas!  For me, this is one of the rare instances where the Lee Valley tool is the hands down choice over the Lie Nielsen.  Better blade selection, fence option, and the ability to orient the blade for an open or closed position.

Lonnie

PS  I have the Veritas small and miniature router planes and they are worth having too.  Both are very reasonably priced.
(11-07-2017, 12:52 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: A little birdie told me that I'm getting a router plane for Christmas, but also told me to figure out which brand to get.

I've never used a router but already see how useful it will be for me.  I've also never owned any of Lie's or Veritas' tools but I know they're well regarded as high quality tools.  I'm leaning towards the Veritas because it has the option of the fence.

Can any of you offer your thoughts, particularly if you've owned/used both?

Hi Brad

I am quite partial to Elu, but they are not available any longer ...

[Image: 1_zpsobhresxb.jpg]

.... oops, wrong forum ..
Smile

OK, it is easy to say that both Veritas and Lie Nielsen make great router planes, because they do. And either of them would make you smile when you used one. However that does not help you make a decision. 

I am going to rule out a vintage Stanley because, while they can work very well, they are not in the same class as the Veritas and LN, and anyway you are looking for something shiny and new. 

My vote goes to Veritas because there is a wide range of blades from which to choose (LN really only supply one for their Large router plane, and supplement this with an adapter to use the blades for their Small router plane). The way the blade locks on the Veritas, which aids adjustment up-and-down, is better (there is a curvy washer than spring loads and hold the blade when loose). The fence system (which I DO use for stopped rebates) is superior on the Veritas. 

I developed a system for sharpening router plane blades that works superbly. It involves hollow grinding the bevels. This makes it so easy to maintain a sharp edge ...

[Image: Sharpening_Router_Plane_Blades_html_41355820.jpg]

The article is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...lades.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The Veritas large router plane also shares blades with their medium router, which is also a very fine plane for most tasks that benefit from using a small(er) router plane.
(11-07-2017, 09:17 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I would not knowingly buy something for the purpose of trying it out and returning it if it doesn't turn out to be the first choice.

The vendor will suffer a loss as the tool cannot be sold at its full price in many cases.

Simon

That is why I suggested he call the vendor first. I have heard the reps from Lee Valley tell people that is they were unsure about a tool, they could buy it, try it, and return it if they didn't like it.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Okay, so it looks like I'll go with LV's router.  Not because the LN is bad, but because the LV just has a couple more perks that nobody here has complained about.

Thanks a bunch, folks.
Semper fi,
Brad

The economic outcome is the same whether a woodworker gets "the blessing" or not from a vendor's rep: The returned tool (LN or Veritas) can not be sold at its full price. There is no free lunch and in the end the regular customers like me will pay a price for such loss of profit.

The generous return policy at Veritas or LN is not meant for trying tools out; one can do that at their roadshows or stores.

Simon
(11-09-2017, 10:49 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The economic outcome is the same whether a woodworker gets "the blessing" or not from a vendor's rep: The returned tool (LN or Veritas) can not be sold at its full price. There is no free lunch and in the end the regular customers like me will pay a price for such loss of profit.

The generous return policy at Veritas or LN is not meant for trying tools out; one can do that at their roadshows or stores.

Simon

Uh huh, and what if their roadshow doesn't come within a reasonable driving distance or you have to wait 6 months to a year for that show to happen? I get one woodworking event near me for about 300 miles that has any real vendors at it.
(11-09-2017, 11:32 AM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: Uh huh, and what if their roadshow doesn't come within a reasonable driving distance or you have to wait 6 months to a year for that show to happen? I get one woodworking event near me for about 300 miles that has any real vendors at it.

Yeah, you're right. It's their fault! You are justified to take them for all you can!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com