Handles for a Moxon vise
I am in the process of building a Moxon vise in a small workbench. I am thinking of modifying a pair of black iron pipe tees as part of the handles. What is the best way of opening up the threads to accommodate both my acme rod as well as a dowel for a handle. Thanks.
(11-09-2017, 01:31 PM)pgriff Wrote: I am in the process of building a Moxon vise in a small workbench. I am thinking of modifying a pair of black iron pipe tees as part of the handles. What is the best way of opening up the threads to accommodate both my acme rod as well as a dowel for a handle. Thanks.

If you are not in a hurry and tell me the length and width I will turn both of them on my lathe and use my Beall threading system for the knobs.

If you do then send me a PM and it may take a month since I am between shops right now
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-09-2017, 01:31 PM)pgriff Wrote: I am in the process of building a Moxon vise in a small workbench. I am thinking of modifying a pair of black iron pipe tees as part of the handles. What is the best way of opening up the threads to accommodate both my acme rod as well as a dowel for a handle. Thanks.

If you have nuts for the acme rod, you can do this:

[Image: 33374705542_51de43bb65_b.jpg]

I used regular threaded rod from the Home Depot, and just made some handles from wood.  They are not affixed to the nuts (I"m thinking about epoxying them) but it is fully functional.  Quick and dirty, I know........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-09-2017, 02:24 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If you are not in a hurry and tell me the length and width I will turn both of them on my lathe and use my Beall threading system for the knobs.

If you do then send me a PM and it may take a month since I am between shops right now

Thanks for your offer. This is a project for an evening woodworking class I am taking, and have to finish in 2 weeks. I also have already purchased the acme rod and nuts. I will look at my tooling and see what I have that can open up the threads by 0.020-0.030".
(11-09-2017, 05:23 PM)pgriff Wrote: That's not really that much to take off. I would file the rod down until you can press or pound it on.

Thanks for your offer. This is a project for an evening woodworking class I am taking, and have to finish in 2 weeks. I also have already purchased the acme rod and nuts. I will look at my tooling and see what I have that can open up the threads by 0.020-0.030".
Here is what I did. I bought 3/4 threaded rod from Home Depot and order some machinery handles from Grizzly. I drilled and taped them for the rod.

photo F7EF581C-F0CF-4A94-A503-FCAA1EDB4A9E_zpsykcxzcd4.jpg
I bought the 6" wheels from ENCO for about $6 each and drilled a 3/4" hole in the hub. Dropped in a bit of epoxy, pushed the ACME rod in, made sure it was straight and gave it a half hour to set.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Thumbs Up 
Dave Parkis and Dave Diaman: thanks for the ideas as I have been thinking 'bout a Moxon, but unsure of what to use for handles. Again, thanks.
First choice would be the die grinder. Second would be an electric drill and a set of mounted stones. The cleanup or complete job would fall to files, a large round to start and an 8 or 10 halfround to finish.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Ray, the setup I have is really reasonable to build. I think after shipping I have about $35. The two speed knobs are just 3/8” carnage bolts that I turned handles to fit on. The only expensive part is the tap. If you need one I would be happy to ship the one I have to you to use. I have both a 3/4 and a 1”. They are not Acme thread however.