Bench-on-Bench suggestions
Most, if not all my dovetailing and mortise and tenon work is done by hand.  My bench height is optimal for hand tool work, however as my body gets up there in age, I found it more difficult to chop dovetails and mortises, without the back starting to act up from bending over.  I would like to make a "mini bench" to bring the work closer, so I am not hunched over so much. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can put on top of my bench, clamp it down, and go to work.  I would like to know if anyone has a similar set up, and what dimensions they used, and also if they added a Moxon vise.  Also, if anyone has any other suggestions.

Scott
(11-10-2017, 08:50 AM)Smoothjazz077 Wrote: Most, if not all my dovetailing and mortise and tenon work is done by hand.  My bench height is optimal for hand tool work, however as my body gets up there in age, I found it more difficult to chop dovetails and mortises, without the back starting to act up from bending over.  I would like to make a "mini bench" to bring the work closer, so I am not hunched over so much. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can put on top of my bench, clamp it down, and go to work.  I would like to know if anyone has a similar set up, and what dimensions they used, and also if they added a Moxon vise.  Also, if anyone has any other suggestions.

Scott

I thought about this a while back.... but never made one.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2008/03/2...htop-bench

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2005/10/2...htop-bench
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-10-2017, 08:50 AM)Smoothjazz077 Wrote: Most, if not all my dovetailing and mortise and tenon work is done by hand.  My bench height is optimal for hand tool work, however as my body gets up there in age, I found it more difficult to chop dovetails and mortises, without the back starting to act up from bending over.  I would like to make a "mini bench" to bring the work closer, so I am not hunched over so much. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can put on top of my bench, clamp it down, and go to work.  I would like to know if anyone has a similar set up, and what dimensions they used, and also if they added a Moxon vise.  Also, if anyone has any other suggestions.

Scott

Take a look at:   https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...h-on-Bench
There is a recent discussion on this up in the Woodworking section her: 'Jeff Miller Benchtop Bench'.
I do most joinery by hand, too. I do not have a bench-on-bench setup and none of the other skilled handtool guys I know do.

My set up is simple: Moxon's vise or bench vise for sawing; regular medium height bench (me in sitting position) for chopping and planing (in standing position).

Never have had any issues with my back or quality of work issues. The best deal is to sit down whenever the setup allows you to. I can work 7 to 8 hours a day and two or three days in a row without feeling I just climbed a mountain.

Simon

Scott

I'm working on a mini bench for my dad, who is currently using my poor mom's kitchen table for his bench- he's getting up in years and his cramped basement shop is not heated or well lit, that's why he's relocating to the kitchen.  The bench will be clamped to the kitchen table, making for a good working height as well as adding holes for a Veritas bench pup/wonder pup combo.  Also got him a Veritas surface clamp.  The top is ~5' long, 18" wide and a little over 1.25" thick, made from construction lumber.  I'm adding aprons, boards glued to the underside lengthwise at the front and rear edges, to elevate it to a good working height and give clearance for the Veritas hardware, add a little stiffness, and give an easy way to clamp to the table.  I'm also planning to make a moxon vise for him, I love using mine.  I turned the screws on my lathe and threaded them with the Beall system, I'll do the same for his.  I considered a small quick release vise in the end vise position, but it will double the weight of the bench, and portability is important so that's why I went with the Veritas stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

I am enjoying this thread!
I would really like to get a bench-on-bench thing going as well.

For this week's quick-fix, I might as well have taken this one out of the Reader's Suggestions on a ww magazine.

Using the elevated Shopsmith table and 2 nice clamps to hold up my fretsaw platform.  Here I could sit on my stool and watch my cuts:

Going back to my crappy low bench for cleanups while standing:

Chris
Chris
With help from my daughter I finished up my dad's bench. :
Smile I'm going to have to make myself one now, my shop temp is in the thirties so I had to glue up the aprons on the dining room table!

Attached Files Image(s)

Oh hey, talk about a timely discussion. (sort of) I've got a project coming up that includes stringing and inlay. The last time I did any of this tedious work my back didn't end up very happy about it. All of that being hunched over a bench takes a toll on my titanium fortified spine
No . So, I've decided to build a little bench on bench like Steve Latta uses. I've got some 8/4 red oak in my lumber rack that should work nicely for this. I have an inexpensive 7" vise with a dog on order to put on the end in the manner Steve has done his.

[Image: steve_latta_bench.jpg]
(12-03-2017, 03:02 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Oh hey, talk about a timely discussion. (sort of) I've got a project coming up that includes stringing and inlay. The last time I did any of this tedious work my back didn't end up very happy about it. All of that being hunched over a bench takes a toll on my titanium fortified spine
No . So, I've decided to build a little bench on bench like Steve Latta uses. I've got some 8/4 red oak in my lumber rack that should work nicely for this. I have an inexpensive 7" vise with a dog on order to put on the end in the manner Steve has done his.

[Image: steve_latta_bench.jpg]
Hello Rick;

Welcome to the forum!
Skip