New on Saw Plate Tensioning :)
I recall "tensioning of [plate] saws" to be a super controversial topic.   (No argument on the actual tensioning of fret saws though.)

Now check this out!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXVz8sthYz_/...elton_saws

https://www.skeltonsaws.co.uk/mallard-saw

Chris
Chris
(11-11-2017, 09:30 AM)C. in Indy Wrote: I recall "tensioning of [plate] saws" to be a super controversial topic.   (No argument on the actual tensioning of fret saws though.)

Now check this out!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXVz8sthYz_/...elton_saws

https://www.skeltonsaws.co.uk/mallard-saw

Chris

Enter it into the Rube Goldberg challenge?

Or

Greatest achievement in modern sawmaking?
I read the information at the website, and am still scratching my head about the "adjustable blade" aspect.  But for US$1250 it would have to cut wood by itself for me to buy it...... 
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
While the Mallard does have a hefty price tag, it embodies several features not seen before in saw design. Besides the aforementioned tensioning mechanism, the saw plate never touches wood and therefore is not subject to deflection due to seasonal changes in the wood. If that does not impress you, then the exquisite attention to detail should. Shane Skelton studied as a gunmaker with one of the classic English shotgun companies before embarking on his sawmaking enterprise.

These photos were posted on Facebook by Richard Arnold in September (I saved them to a Flickr album since the forum doesn't allow hotlinking to Facebook content).

[Image: 38304259072_c8523cb554_c.jpg]

[Image: 38335492181_22103a37c0_c.jpg]

[Image: 38304259192_134607539b_c.jpg]

[Image: 38280118186_1ea8d67497_c.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Super cool saw.  I hope my joke isn't taken the wrong way.  Looks awesome and well made, and I bet it cuts great.
(11-11-2017, 11:17 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Super cool saw.  I hope my joke isn't taken the wrong way.  Looks awesome and well made, and I bet it cuts great.

Everything revolutionary is generally looked at with a skeptical eye at first. I would like to see more of this line of thinking in the future. Hopefully, it will trickle down to the tools that us mortals can afford.
Bob Page
In da U.P. of Michigan
(11-11-2017, 11:32 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Everything revolutionary is generally looked at with a skeptical eye at first. I would like to see more of this line of thinking in the future. Hopefully, it will trickle down to the tools that us mortals can afford.

I think you can do it yourself, now. Don't read the marketing blurb and study the tool. Blended tooth filing (rip/cc) is a happening thing. The back on my TFWW kit saw is single piece. The difference is a two-piece handle, brass/bronze and funky wood rejected from fine furniture use. It must have a heck of a set; but why be cutting swampy wood that seizes so easily?

Nice bling. It's a pretty tool. Does Blontz charge that much for his?
No doubt, a technological tour de force, but it solves a problem that doesn't exist.  Seriously.  I can buy 10 LN dovetail saws for the price of one Mallard.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-11-2017, 01:55 PM)AHill Wrote: No doubt, a technological tour de force, but it solves a problem that doesn't exist.  Seriously.  I can buy 10 LN dovetail saws for the price of one Mallard.

I will have to reserve final judgement on the plate tensioning device until I actually have a chance to try one. However, I find plenty of old backsaws with handles warped enough to bend the blade. Shane Skelton's reinforced handle alleviates that issue. Also, since the spine is integral to the handle and does not rely on the mortise for strength, the spine itself can be made lighter, thereby shifting the balance of the saw closer to the hand. Everyone has their preferences, of course, but I prefer a saw that is more neutrally balanced.
Bob Page
In da U.P. of Michigan
(11-11-2017, 01:55 PM)AHill Wrote: No doubt, a technological tour de force, but it solves a problem that doesn't exist.  Seriously.  I can buy 10 LN dovetail saws for the price of one Mallard.

+1
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis