Removing a Veritas plow plane handle?
I would like to make a different handle and a matching fence for my Veritas (sm) plow plane.  I probably would go a bit larger than the current one.  I remember someone from the company mentioning that the stock handle is fastened with a threaded fastener and some epoxy adhesive.  Epoxy can be loosened with heat but the powder-coated black finish on the plane would be at risk if a heat gun is employed.  Anyone have experience or knowledge of this?  I have made numerous Stanley plane handles, so the woodworking part is not a concern, although I might make the handle first before I undo anything on the stock plane, because I suspect that the removal is not reversible.
I don't think you are the first to want to do this. Call up LV technical support, they are pretty good and if someone else has asked about how to do this, and did it, this they might have some valuable insights. And the nice thing is if they don't know offhand, they go ask the production people and will call you back.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-12-2017, 10:28 AM)Admiral Wrote: I don't think you are the first to want to do this.  Call up LV technical support, they are pretty good and if someone else has asked about how to do this, and did it, this they might have some valuable insights.  And the nice thing is if they don't know offhand, they go ask the production people and will call you back.

I thought about doing that, but I am still stinging from being chastised on another forum for "wasting the time of a (different) manufacturer by calling with questions".  A friend of mine just broke the handle on his new combination plane, so he is going to call them for advise about that, and can ask for me.  Perhaps the best answer is to just leave it alone.
Derek C. may have done something with his. He is always modifying LV totes.
(11-12-2017, 10:44 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: I thought about doing that, but I am still stinging from being chastised on another forum for "wasting the time of a (different) manufacturer by calling with questions".  A friend of mine just broke the handle on his new combination plane, so he is going to call them for advise about that, and can ask for me.  Perhaps the best answer is to just leave it alone.

Mike -

If you don't call our service folks...we'll have to  let them go....
Wink

Shoot me your email address at rlee@leevalley.com , and we'll get the answer to you.

Cheers -

Rob
Thank you, Rob, and will do!
And this is part of why I love LV and deeply respect and appreciate Rob Lee.

I just read Mike's post about the wrist slap and Rob's answer to LOML and she shares my appreciation that customer care does not get any better than this anywhere.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(11-13-2017, 03:12 PM)iclark Wrote: And this is part of why I love LV and deeply respect and appreciate Rob Lee.

I just read Mike's post about the wrist slap and Rob's answer to LOML and she shares my appreciation that customer care does not get any better than this anywhere.

I have already completed a couple of exchanges of info with their tool designer.  That is service par none.
Yes
For a small fee LV will special order a few of those metal dodads that attach the handle to the frame.

Somewhere in my shop four of them are taunting me as yet another project-in-progress.
(11-13-2017, 05:16 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: For a small fee LV will special order a few of those metal dodads that attach the handle to the frame.

Somewhere in my shop four of them are taunting me as yet another project-in-progress.

Chuck is referring to a threaded insert that is epoxied into the wood handle.  A cap screw holds the assembly to the frame, and it has thread-locker on it which can be stubborn to loosen.  Heat will loosen it but heat is not a good idea around powder coat paint and lacquer wood finish.  I have to decide if all of this is worth the risks involved.