drawer bit joint issues
[attachment=5694][attachment=5695]

So what is going on here? First time ever with this bit and joint.

Is it the bit, my setup or my technique?
I expected better.

I have had this bit for years, never used until now. I am not positive, but I think I ordered it from MLCS woodworking.
The wood is red oak, 7/16th inch thick. Practice pieces used.

any ideas? Suggestions

thanks
Mike
setup ... I would say move fence in ..... Others will be along shortly .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Right up front, I have never used the bit.
Looks to me that the "lip" on the front is too thick.  Making it thinner will widen the "tongue".
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-13-2017, 09:07 AM)mikeminn221 Wrote: So what is going on here? First time ever with this bit and joint.

Is it the bit, my setup or my technique?
I expected better.

I have had this bit for years, never used until now. I am not positive, but I think I ordered it from MLCS woodworking.
The wood is red oak, 7/16th inch thick. Practice pieces used.

any ideas? Suggestions

thanks
Mike
so just more set up then!
I will keep plugging away on it.

thanks
Here is a video to check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjP5xqMZYLA
The set up block is a great help, but if you struggle through till you get a snug fit, use a piece of HARD wood to cut a set up block of your known set up. That way next time around you are almost perfect from the start, maybe one wiggle or so, and you'll be done.

Works same way for lock miters, and most all of the tongue and groove type bits too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You need to raise the bit by half the size of the gap, measured vertically.  (Vertically as cut.  That's sideways in the photo.)
I got one of those bits.  The setup was very fussy.  So much so that if I were only doing 3 or 4 drawers it would not pay to use them.  I would just use through dowels on the sides.  

Dovetails are quicker to setup and stronger.  

If you have a lot of drawers to do this can be very fast however.  I never did throw out my router bits for the lock drawers.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.