affordable teak alternatives
I have two strips of teak on my little boat that hold the hatch boards in place, they are 20 years past their prime!!
Teak is out the question, dear god is it expensive! What's my choices, it will get oiled once a year and then it's outdoors, rain and shine.
no permiti el bicho morderte
(11-13-2017, 09:53 PM)vapochilled Wrote: I have two strips of teak on my little boat that hold the hatch boards in place, they are 20 years past their prime!!
Teak is out the question, dear god is it expensive! What's my choices, it will get oiled once a year and then it's outdoors, rain and shine.

Ipe would work. Or look at the other non-WRC residential deck boards out there. You could also use Star Board. It's not cheap but you wouldn't have to oil it and it'll last forever.

What kind of boat?
Go to a boat graveyard and see if there are some Teak scraps.

Mesquite weathers well and can be a color match.
Black Locust
Osage Orange
California Redwood
Bald Cyprus
Iroko
Sapele
Mahogany
White oak
Ash
(11-13-2017, 09:53 PM)vapochilled Wrote: I have two strips of teak on my little boat that hold the hatch boards in place, they are 20 years past their prime!!

I have a bunch of Ipe (Brazilian Walnut) flooring and I'll donate a board to you for a small donation to our Woodnet Christmas auction. Post a pic of what you have (so I can match color) and the measurements. I'm assuming you have tools to cut it yourself. It'd be 3/4" thick with the usual relief cuts on the bottom if that works for you.

Wicked hard stuff.
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
Another vote for IPE. Stuff is hard & holds up to weather like nothing I've ever seen. It's so dense it does not float but sinks.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Another wood you may want to consider is iroqo - sometimes called African Teak although it's not really a teak. I've seen it at our Nashville Woodcraft but it's not cheap. A board foot will set you back $11 or so.

What are the dimensions that you need? Send me a PM and if I have some in the shorts pile that will work just pay the postage.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
29" long, 2" wide and a little 1/2" thick
Thanks all, I'll look and see what I have laying around, Gary if nothing else shows up, I'll take you up on that offer
Jim, she's an old O'day 23, needs be nothing fancy
Smile
no permiti el bicho morderte
(11-15-2017, 10:14 PM)vapochilled Wrote: 29" long, 2" wide and a little 1/2" thick
Thanks all, I'll look and see what I have laying around, Gary if nothing else shows up, I'll take you up on that offer
Jim, she's an old O'day 23, needs be nothing fancy
Smile

I'm pretty sure I can fix you up with teak. Can you plane it to 1/2" or I can do it if you don't have a planer.
I'll measure them tomorrow.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.