bureaucratic monkey wrench part 3
for the history see link

Yesterday I went in to planning and zoning and had a meeting with a real friendly guy who told me if I started house withing 180 days of starting shop I didn't need to do the "Conditional Use permit" hearing and fees.

Sounded so good to me!

So I gathered up the two forms they said I needed from other departments (Health and Roads) and showed up this morning with checkbook to get my permits.

Then they handed me FIVE new forms of theirs -- three for me and two for contractor
Uhoh

And one of those forms calls for house plans, etc etc etc that may take 15 days to review.

And Fescue wonders why I hate all bureaucracies
Rolleyes

Sigh  Getting fed up with these hoops.
Upset
Upset
Upset
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I like where I'm at. No permits for added buildings like a shop. Very little problem for a house as I'm told- just the septic and utilities.
Your (our) tax dollars at work; kinda brings tears to your eyes, doesn't it? It does remind me of the Rough cut episodes where he built his shop. Early on, they were showing the foundation (slab) that had been poured. In talking about the importance of local codes and inspection, McDonald quipped that with the slab poured they had already had 5 inspections done! Moral of the story, cheer up....and be thankful you aren't in MA (I guess). (He also pointed out that with the slab poured he had already spent over $50K.) Back to the house plans stuff...they don't exist yet, do they?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
When I built a house in 1977 I got my septic permit and walked into the building department with plans and walked out with my building permits. When I built a new garage in 1989 it took 3 sets of plans, 3 trips to the planning board, 2 weeks of review, and 5 inspection visits. These was all in the same township. I wouldn't even think about building anything else there now!
Where I live now, you can't fart without applying for a permit.
This greedy, crooked county gov't is so money hungry, they want you to pay to replace a mailbox.
I didn't say a word when I did mine, I just did it.
(11-16-2017, 06:32 AM)fredhargis Wrote:  Back to the house plans stuff...they don't exist yet, do they?

My wife drew plans for her father and her brother for years (wanted to be an architect but met Calculus) so she has the plans.

In her head.

And with prospective Daughter-in-law coming for Thanksgiving you know what her priorities are!
Rolleyes

So I'm doing the best I can with SketchUp and what she has sketched out.

I'll try again tomorrow
Sigh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Play their game, but beat them at it: Find an architect, get plans for a house he designed for someone else. Submit those plans. Get approval for shop ASAP. Build shop.

When architect is done with real plans, resubmit and tell them you guys decided you needed to change for some reason (I like wheelchair access as they can't fight you).
Just build it when they aren't looking.
Laugh

Then have it grandfathered in as an existing building.  
Uhoh
Around my parts everything pretty much needs a permit. Want to put a storage container on your property? Pour footings, bolt it down and get a permit and inspection. Water heater replacement? Permit and inspection. Replacing an existing light switch/fixture? Permit and inspection.

And then they wonder why there is so much unpermitted work being done....

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(11-16-2017, 12:16 PM)daddo Wrote: Just build it when they aren't looking.
Laugh

Then have it grandfathered in as an existing building.  
Uhoh

25 Years ago or so I toured an aerial photography business with my dad.    At the time he owned rental property in Phoenix AZ and had built many shops, sheds and even small apartments without permitting.  The owner of the business was explaining how they are contracted with the city to do yearly photographing because the city started checking everyone's property year to year to see changes and unpermitted structures.  I looked at my dad and he got really quiet and sheepish all of a sudden. 
Laugh

A few years later all the property was sold and it was the new owners mess.     Oh the things we would build.  We'd turn a metal roof open sided carport into a efficiency apartment.  Spray foam the underside of the roof, put up walls.  Basic wiring and bathroom.  One even had the carpet laid directly on asphalt paving!
WoodNET... the new safespace