Building Grandsons Christmas Present
I took a little time off from building my new bench to get my grandsons Christmas present built. I do not have to far to go. I need to fasten the top on and put some holes in it. I also can't forget the bottom shelf. I have two short bench dogs, one I used in my tail vise, the other work out perfectly on his. It was kind of interesting flattening 2x12s but much easier planning than the hickory my top is made of. 

My grandson is always building something and he is left handed so I made the bench both a right and left handed. Anyway pictures.

Tom

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-15-2017, 07:18 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I took a little time off from building my new bench to get my grandsons Christmas present built. I do not have to far to go. I need to fasten the top on and put some holes in it. I also can't forget the bottom shelf. I have two short bench dogs, one I used in my tail vise, the other work out perfectly on his. It was kind of interesting flattening 2x12s but much easier planning than the hickory my top is made of. 

My grandson is always building something and he is left handed so I made the bench both a right and left handed. Anyway pictures.

Tom

Very nice.  How old is he?
Really nice, Tom....should do him very well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That's the way to insure the hobby continues.
Most of my Christmas List has asked for boxes... fine by me.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(11-15-2017, 08:22 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: Very nice.  How old is he?

He is 12.

I gave him a miter saw last year for his birthday along with a lot of white pine and it wasn't long and every kid, two girls included, from blocks around was over there trying it out. I am told that they stayed at it for 4 hours. I told him I would give him more wood to cut but I didn't expect to get a call asking for more wood the same day. I asked him later and found out that he was the only kid that had ever used a saw before.

I really like this bench because it only has 16 bolts holding it together and it is in pieces. He has a Battery powered drill, so with a clip in nut driver he can have it apart in a couple of minutes and it can go out in the garage in the summer time. Lets see where this take me.

Tom
(11-16-2017, 09:56 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: He is 12.

I gave him a miter saw last year for his birthday along with a lot of white pine and it wasn't long and every kid, two girls included, from blocks around was over there trying it out. I am told that they stayed at it for 4 hours. I told him I would give him more wood to cut but I didn't expect to get a call asking for more wood the same day. I asked him later and found out that he was the only kid that had ever used a saw before.

I really like this bench because it only has 16 bolts holding it together and it is in pieces. He has a Battery powered drill, so with a clip in nut driver he can have it apart in a couple of minutes and it can go out in the garage in the summer time. Lets see where this take me.

Tom

DougG from this forum sent me this link on how to use the bench and I will give it to my grandson also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4
That is really nice Tom.  How are you going to do the vise/vises?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, I think this is a basic workbench with no vise -- hence the video to explain how to actually get stuff done.
There are a couple of other designs I'm aware of for kids -- Jameel's A Bench for Kids in PWW, and Doug Stowe's Clear Spring Elementary Workbenches.  I did like that Jameel recommended giving the kids some time with a workmate to confirm that there is some depth of interest.

Tom -- looks very nice.  I did want to ask about that floor register underneath the bench -- is that part of an elaborate dust and shavings collection scheme?
For recent project with scouts, I just used 2x8's with 1x1 cleats to act as stops for use with pull saws.  (I was prepped for 16 scouts; no way I was going to build 16 full workbenches!)

Matt
Looks great, Tom.  I like the idea of the retractable crochets.  Did you flush the top to the front apron?  I see a lip in the first photos, but not in the last.  If I ever get around to building one of these I'd prefer the front to be flush with the top so if you clamp something to the front you don't have to work around the lip.  With any luck you can get your apprentice trained up and be helpful around the shop.
Winkgrin
That's a great looking bench.  I really appreciate you posting that video on viceless benches as well.