Need help identifying secretary or desk
Photo 
My folks bought this piece maybe 30ish years ago at an antique place near Baltimore. I don't have any idea what they paid, my mom has passed away and my stepfather's memory has gone south without him. Daughter is moving stepfather to the opposite coast to be close to her, an excellent move but I have 3 days to empty the apartment. I live 550 miles from here (southern PA between Baltimore and York, PA) so logistics are also an issue.

The owner of an upscale consignment shop looked at the furniture and accessories today. He was impressed with the secretary and announced that he could get us $350, maybe $375. I was thinking that plus a grand or so. I  want to do justice to the piece and get a reasonable price to help fund my stepfather's  care.

Can anyone point me to a location to research value or what style to look for? I know almost nothing about the piece. My guess is that it's walnut with walnut burl veneer. It's in pretty doggone good condition. Locks work. Drawer fronts aren't dovetailed but have some sort of scalloped male on the side qnd female on the front with dowels in each of the scallops.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Here's a couple photos:

I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Honestly it looks like a pretty generic factory piece. I would guess from the 1930’s or 40’s but I’m not an expert on 20th century pieces. I hate to speculate about the wood without being able to see the piece but it appears to be burl and some type of tight grained wood stained to match but I could be wrong. I have had a ton of people ask me to look at Walnut pieces here that were pine stained to look like Walnut. We have a few guys here who probably get their hands on similar pieces and can tell you more from the photos. It has been my experience that most 20th century pieces cost way more to repair than they are worth so I don’t see many of them. The figures he is quoting are more than likely fair.
(11-15-2017, 07:58 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Honestly it looks like a pretty generic factory piece. I would guess from the 1930’s or 40’s but I’m not an expert on 20th century pieces. I hate to speculate about the wood without being able to see the piece but it appears to be burl and some type of tight grained wood stained to match but I could be wrong. I have had a ton of people ask me to look at Walnut pieces here that were pine stained to look like Walnut. We have a few guys here who probably get their hands on similar pieces and can tell you more from the photos. It has been my experience that most 20th century pieces cost way more to repair than they are worth so I don’t see many of them. The figures he is quoting are more than likely fair.

Thanks Dave,
Not necessarily what I had hoped to hear but ---- your experience is valued. BTW, I'm in MD for a few days, need your wood inventory lightened? 
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

g

(11-15-2017, 08:09 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks Dave,
Not necessarily what I had hoped to hear but ---- your experience is valued. BTW, I'm in MD for a few days, need your wood inventory lightened? 
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

g

I work with some folks that deal in antiques, and since the recession in 2007, prices on large pieces of antique furniture ( called brown wood ) have fallen a ton.  I understand that there has been a slight uptick lately, but the younger generation is more interested in a nice apartment, than filling a house with large dark furniture, so there is a lot less demand than before, and it wouldn't surprise me if it would sell for less than $500, though I haven't seen it in person.
Wow !!!   We have an almost identical piece. Is definitely not walnut. Grain pattern is wrong. Probably stained.  Only differences are the handles on the rolltop cover are disc-like and decorative; and there are three drawers on the left, not two and a locked center panel. Ours was a wedding present to my grandparents  (without lookiing it up it would have to have been 1880-1900). Also the crown is missing. It was cut off so the piece would fit in ther rooms. Sorry, no help with value. We have never tried to find out what it is worth. It just keeps being passed on to the next generation.

(11-15-2017, 08:09 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks Dave,
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

g

(11-15-2017, 11:55 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Wow !!!   We have an almost identical piece. Is definitely not walnut. Grain pattern is wrong. Probably stained.  Only differences are the handles on the rolltop cover are disc-like and decorative; and there are three drawers on the left, not two and a locked center panel. Ours was a wedding present to my grandparents  (without lookiing it up it would have to have been 1880-1900). Also the crown is missing. It was cut off so the piece would fit in ther rooms. Sorry, no help with value. We have never tried to find out what it is worth. It just keeps being passed on to the next generation.

I just noticed that you said your piece has Knapp joints. At least that is what it sounds like you described. If it does than the previously mentioned time frame of 1880-1900 would be accurate. They fell out of favor around 1900 in favor dovetail joints once again. Either way I would not take what I am saying as gospel. I really am no expert on late 19th early 20th century furniture. seeing what antiques have been going for at auction lately though I would not get your hopes too high. Once again as previously stated brown furniture is falling out of favor. I'll bet 1 in every 30 commission piece I currently build is walnut. No one seems to want it right now.

As for my wood stash. I don't think I have anything to sell right now but my shop door is always open for visitors.
Thanks guys. I'll shop it around to a couple antique dealers to see if anyone is interested in a consignment. Realistic expectations always helps.

Dave,thanks for the invite, will give you a jingle.

g

(11-16-2017, 07:29 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks guys. I'll shop it around to a couple antique dealers to see if anyone is interested in a consignment. Realistic expectations always helps.

Dave,thanks for the invite, will give you a jingle.

g

Give this place a call. You can also look through their inventory to get an idea about current values. Keep in mind that most of these consignment places keep 50-60% of the sale price though.

https://onlycornerstone.com/
If you want to find out what it's really worth, you're going to have to go over it with a find tooth comb.
Somewhere on it should be a sticker, or a label from whomever made it.
It might be on the back of a drawer, under the slide out if it has one, on the back of the upright, etc.
If you find a maker's label, you're better able to determine a value.
Hope this helps someone out there.

FWIW, I've seen a piece like that that turned out to have a hidden bar in it. The drawer fronts were fake, and it was really a door.
The booze set was in the "roll top" part of it, and it folded down to make a shelf.
The pin and scallop joint is a Knapp dovetail. Mr. Knapp patented his machine in 1875 as I recall.
The cabinet is in the Eastlake style. Charles Eastlake was a critic. He was not a cabinetmaker or designer, but he was influential, so the style bears his name. I doubt you'll get $1,000 for this piece, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I'd offer less than half that.