What wood to use for a tool chest?
(11-18-2017, 01:48 AM)ianab Wrote: Build it with the wood YOU have.

This would be my choice too.
Yes
Yes

I have used White Oak in the past because it's tough enough. Pine can be a bit soft, and sometimes doesn't take actual use, now if it's just sitting there, but not throwing it in the back of the truck abuse....... So it wholly depends on what the words "tool chest" mean to you. I don't have a shrine shop, mine is a working shop. Stuff gets banged around.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Chestwood.
I have access to 20"-26" wide soft maple ... this is my go to wood for chests ... harder than cherry or poplar ... about the same as walnut ... clear and easy to work ... takes about any finish well ... and the wide boards mean no multi-board panels.

The mill only cuts it in the winter when the sap is down ... fewer sap inclusions. I can get clear S2S 20"x7/8"x10' boards for around $4/BF ... or less if I haggle ...

I've done several chests with it and am pleased with the results ... Walnut would be pretty though ...

Pine (from the BORG) ... unless you are using SYP or spruce ... is just too soft and splits too easily ... JMHO

Red
I would use whatever I had on hand that needed to be used.
With the coloring finishing choices these days, there is no end to making what you like to see.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-18-2017, 07:24 AM)daddo Wrote: Chestwood.

Best answer......

GW
I had decided I needed a tool chest to organize my armorer's tools and gun cleaning supplies for the home office.

Because I can't seem to just build it and let it go, I built the case and drawers out of cabinet grade 1/2" maple ply.

Then I took a couple days of careful measuring to add the drawer fronts, top, closet door, and trim using book matched black walnut and oak framing.

I wanted a few unique touches, so the drawer pulls, closet door knob, and the hooks that the cleaning rods hang on, are all spent cartridge cases.  The hooks for the cleaning rods all match the caliber for which the rods are set up... no need to label the rods. 
Smirk

So, as you can see, you don't have to choose just one wood.  You can combine them for strength and beauty.
and build something special along the way.  The wife was ticked when she saw the finished project... (ticked is a strong word,) but her comment was...

"That's wasted as a tool box, it's nice enough to be a jewelry box... that "closet" on the end could hold necklaces." 
Winkgrin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Really nice gnu case Jim. I think of my stuff in bags and cardboard boxes, and see a future project. Very nice.

GW
(11-17-2017, 06:35 PM)JSpill Wrote: I intend it to be a showcase for my favorite and most valuable tools. My special hand tools never leave my basement shop. I want my son to know that these tools are family heirlooms and should not be sold at a garage sale. So, I want to select a premium wood that works nicely. Walnut or mahogany would be good choices.

Walnut is harder than Mahogany, and of course darker. Mahogany is one of the "soft" hardwoods, easy to work with and can look spectacular if finished properly. Individual taste but for me it would be Mahogany, given the choices. QSWO is so beautiful that I'll try it for most anything - my very favorite!

Doug

P.S. Looking forward to the pics!
Quote:"That's wasted as a tool box, it's nice enough to be a jewelry box... that "closet" on the end could hold necklaces."  [Image: yellowsmilewinkgrin.gif]

That's a hint. You have a month to get it finished for Xmas 
Laugh
(11-17-2017, 02:34 PM)JSpill Wrote: I'm thinking of building a small tool chest for storing my favorite hand tools. I'm going to use plans from Mike Pekovich's  Essential Tool Chest published in Fine Woodworking magazine. I just haven't decided what wood I should use. Mike used butternut for his chest. He wanted something light in weight and easy to work with. He did mention that butternut will dent easily because of it's softness. I know white oak is probably the most used species in making tool chests. Almost every Gerstner chest I've seen is made of white oak. The problem for me is that I am sick of using oak for almost everything I make. Cherry too. So, if you have made a chest you are proud of using something other than oak or cherry I would like to know about it. Pictures would help too.

I went whole hog on my plane cabinet, used Granadillo.  Expensive wood, but I got a great price on it a number of years ago.
The older I get the faster I was.