This Forum is so .... ( )
(11-18-2017, 11:25 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: His LostPress blog is souring me. Big long post yesterday about him closing his email addresses as he got tired of answering questions from fans.
But he sure wastes a lot of time on the blog posting those notes.
Smirk

I've followed him for 20 years thinking he might grow up someday.
Laugh

Chris seems to have a lot of balls in the air: publishing business, tool manufacturing, family, retail store, furniture making for profit, (probably doesn't like something about that label), teaching (overseas), writing, historical researching.  A company I once worked for had the motto: "Doing one thing well".  Somewhere between one and a dozen there is probably a happy medium for things to do, while keeping one's sanity.  Perhaps Chris can find that sweet spot one day.

Regarding the forum content; yes, the forum has lost a big chunk of solid contributors. I don't see them at other forums, so perhaps they are actually working with wood instead of a keyboard.
Hang on a second.... To the man's credit, we can't complain about publishing and writing as too many irons. It is his field, his diploma. And, when is the last time an actual hardcover woodworking book was published, and decently. He even admits to knowing squat about wood when he blessed the cover of PopWood for the first time. Well, now he does. 

There is the admirable goal of reviving handwork in the craft of woodworking. Hello, Roubo! And, with all that vernier accuracy, iron and ozone burning along with scorched lignin, and rape of disappearing resources, Admiral can unload antique tools while a bunch of people build their furniture from SYP and Yellow Poplar using handplanes.  [Breathe]

The real stinker is dumping teaching; except when .... But, why any need to explain?
I still think Roy Underhill can not be beaten for how he does things shows new tools or what he found, how he uses them and his enthusiasm.

I think poor Chris just does not have the people skills or the show of enthusiasm like Roy and so will not ever make it big like him.

I do hope to over time get All of Roy Underhill's DVDs and I have 1-20 right now and still enjoy watching them on my computer.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Some people become (a little) arrogant after tasting success (success as defined by their goals or objectives). They, of course, choose certain targets to show their arrogance.

Chris Schwarz is sometimes right, and being human, sometimes he is dead wrong. He still insists that his 1" dia holdfasts are the best and the world should convert...for instance.

Nevertheless, he has been making a good contribution to the advancement of woodworking through his business and participation.

Simon
It's so hard to become relevant in the world of woodworking.  Chris made his mark by advocating hand tool techniques will posted at Popular Woodworking.  His body of work on workbenches merits acclaim.  The referenced blog entry was sour grapes to me.  I wonder how many very good woodworkers were underhandedly dissed by Chris' diatribe on words he doesn't care for?  For example, his disdain for "award-winning".  If I'm an aspiring custom furniture maker, what better way to gain some notoriety than by entering a few juried contests and getting my name out there?  Heck, PWW chose winners and losers by publishing tips and doing tool reviews.  Seriously, Chris, you're part of the problem.

Describing some of your work as "art" is legitimate.  If I sell a turned vase at a gallery, it'll command way higher a price than if I post it on Etsy.  Galleries sell art.  Sometimes, in the case of furniture and some woodworking, it's functional art.

Maybe Chris is suffering a mid-life crisis.  Must be slow in the world of publishing.  I haven't purchased a Chris Schwarz book in a long time.  Most anymore are not relevant to what I do.  The Roubo stuff is interesting from a historical perspective, but it doesn't make me a better woodworker and it doesn't add skills to my repertoire.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-18-2017, 09:11 PM)AHill Wrote: I wonder how many very good woodworkers were underhandedly dissed by Chris' diatribe on words he doesn't care for?  For example, his disdain for "award-winning". 

A lot I would imagine.
I feel like he dissed the woodworkers who have been following him and buying his books and videos for the last 15-20 years or so.

Maybe he just wants to rub shoulders with the people that can afford his hundred dollar dividers. (shrug)
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I think he is using some humor, and laughing at ourselves is good. It takes us down off that high horse once in a while. He always seems to have some humor in appearances that I have seen him.

Sometimes we take ourselves a little too serious.

He certainly didn't hurt my feelings. Not enough humor in this world.
Say what you will, but Schwartz energized the woodworking community for 10 years or more. He made Popular Woodworking Magazine. I assumed he had a shelf life and it has apparently expired. Nevertheless, amateur woodworking owes him a lot. He immersed himself in it and lived it. He wrote with some passion and not a little humor. Passion burns hot and bright but dies quickly. He has tired of his line and moved on. Many of us tired of his dogmatic approach, so we castigate him and make sarcastic comments about his work. I find that shameful. If you don't care for Chris Schwartz's current place in the woodworking community, at least give him credit for his past contributions.
(11-19-2017, 08:50 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: Say what you will, but Schwartz energized the woodworking community for 10 years or more. He made Popular Woodworking Magazine. I assumed he had a shelf life and it has apparently expired. Nevertheless, amateur woodworking owes him a lot. He immersed himself in it and lived it. He wrote with some passion and not a little humor. Passion burns hot and bright but dies quickly. He has tired of his line and moved on. Many of us tired of his dogmatic approach, so we castigate him and make sarcastic comments about his work. I find that shameful. If you don't care for Chris Schwartz's current place in the woodworking community, at least give him credit for his past contributions.

No doubt, he did contribute a lot, heck, got me to subscribe to PW and I sincerely enjoyed his leadership there. He’s following his passions, and god bless him cause many people can’t afford to do that, it’s just that lately, his passions don’t match up with mine. Each to his own.......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Frankly, I don't disagree with his choices.
Bespoke? Any reason this can't be described as custom work?
Purveyor? Seriously. ☹️
Hand made? Hand rubbed? That one always seemed foolish to me too. How else would a finish get rubbed?
I don't think he's off base.
I also don't think he's demanding any punishment for those who use these terms. Use that language if you want to, you'll be just fine.