Which Bosch ROS sander to buy?
(11-19-2017, 07:18 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Is the difference between the 3725 and the ROS65 the VC technology? They look very much alike, and as I age I may opt to go with the gentler sander.

Fred, I think the VC technology is the major difference, but the pleated canister filter on the ROS65VC is superior as well, by a lot.  Also, the ROS65VC comes with the hose adapter, but is not with the 3725DEVS, making the price difference less.  Also, it's not obvious that you can put a 6" pad on the 3725.  That would be a show stopper for me.  The 6" pad on the ROS65VC provides better balance than the 5" one, and that's what I use 95% of the time.  I don't know if the 3725 would feel similarly less balanced having only a 5" pad, but that would be a concern to me.  In the end, I like the option of having both as some disks are only available in one or the other size.  

John
(11-19-2017, 08:44 AM)JimDaddyO Wrote: I just got a 1250 DEVS 6".  That extra inch makes a big difference.  2 modes and the aggressive mode removes wood fast.  A bit more money though.

I've had that sander for quite a few years, its very heavy and is great for removing lots of material fast. It might be overkill especially if it's your only orbital sander. One of the 5 inch models would probably be a better choice.
(11-18-2017, 07:38 PM)Steve N Wrote: Even after having read the attached I can't figure if the price you will pay for the sander John linked to 219 bux, or 189? Adding it to my cart it was 219. Am I to assume the 30 has been taken off?

"Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) December 23, 2017.
   Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com or Amazon Digital Services LLC (look for "sold by Amazon.com" or "sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC" on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if "fulfilled by Amazon.com" or "Prime Eligible".
   Offer does not apply to digital content.
   Offer good while supplies last.
   Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items.
   Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
   Offer limited to one per customer and account.
   Offer may not be combined with other offers.
   Taxes, shipping and handling, and gift wrap charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
   The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $30 off $149 in spending.
   Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
   Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
   Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
   If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
   If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
   Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards."
The $30 is taken off when you go to checkout.
Bob
Well, that 3725 looks fine in terms of price. The other two suggested here are WAY above what I'd ever consider paying for a ROS, so other than the $60 one, the 3725 might be my only option. Granted, my budget is really tight right now, and as a substitute teacher with 3 weeks of breaks between Thanksgiving Break and Christmas Break, I'm gonna need to conserve. Thus, I'm probably gonna ask for a sander for Christmas. Has anybody here used the $60 Bosch ROS before? If so, how was it?
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(11-18-2017, 07:38 PM)Steve N Wrote: Even after having read the attached I can't figure if the price you will pay for the sander John linked to 219 bux, or 189? Adding it to my cart it was 219. Am I to assume the 30 has been taken off?

"Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) December 23, 2017.
   Offer only applies to products sold by Amazon.com or Amazon Digital Services LLC (look for "sold by Amazon.com" or "sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC" on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if "fulfilled by Amazon.com" or "Prime Eligible".
   Offer does not apply to digital content.
   Offer good while supplies last.
   Shipping charges and taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items.
   Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
   Offer limited to one per customer and account.
   Offer may not be combined with other offers.
   Taxes, shipping and handling, and gift wrap charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
   The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $30 off $149 in spending.
   Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the offer at any time.
   Offer is non-transferable and may not be resold.
   Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
   If any of the products or content related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product or content, subject to applicable refund policies.
   If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
   Unless an Amazon Gift Card is the stated benefit of the promotion, promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards."

If you go to checkout the $30 is deducted...but then $17.10 in taxes is added. Ugh.
If cash is really tight, you may want to hold off for a bit and look for used.  I picked up a Bosch 3107 a while back for the princely sum of 40 bucks while looking for a different tool.  I didnt need it at the time, but it has turned out to be a great sander and a much more useful acquisition.  It's Swiss made IIRC.  Here is a pic of one I grabbed off the internet:

[Image: bosch-3107-dvs-random-orbital-sander_1_4...4c9090.jpg]

You could also look for other brands as well.  Rigid sold a 6" sander under their brand name that was actually a Metabo.  Metabo is another euro manufacturer that makes pretty high end stuff.  Check out this link:
http://zo-d.com/stuff//ridgid-2610-6-inc...eview.html

Lots of crap sanders out there for cheap money on CL.  Use one of those till you can score something decent.  Occasionally you also see Festool sanders as well, but they tend to go for more money since the name is well known.  Euro Bosch and Metabo sanders are just as nice and don't fetch the premium price.  Good luck in your search.

[Image: Ridgid-2610-Random-Orbital-Sander-Review-Photo.jpg]
[Image: Ridgid-2610-Random-Orbital-Sander-Review-Photo.jpg]
The bosch 3725 is currently listed on Amazon for about 128 with free prime shipping. If you gotta have one now and new, that's the one I would go for. They also have the metabo Metabo SXE 450 for about 204 and its listed as Amazon's Choice. I would argue with that opinion.