Did some scraping today....
Am making 4 sets of shaker oval boxes out of maple, sizes 0 thru 4, and thought I would scrape the bands before shaping them into oval boxes.  Much easier to get most of the finishing prep done while the stock is flat.
Anyway, I made a small pile of scraper shavings and thought I'd share.
[Image: 4893.jpg]
By my rough calculations, scraping both sides of the bands, it comes to about 23 square feet of scraping.  
Time for some schnapps!
c
Nice pile of shavings.  What surprises me is how quickly a scraper will get too hot to hold if you are using your bare hands. I am sure yours got plenty hot as much as you did.
(11-19-2017, 08:05 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Nice pile of shavings.  What surprises me is how quickly a scraper will get too hot to hold if you are using your bare hands. I am sure yours got plenty hot as much as you did.

Know those flexible magnetic covers you can buy from Home Depot for your heater vents? Well they can easily be cut to size and used as a "shield" on your scrapers.
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
...hangs his head in shame and vows once again to learn how to sharpen a scraper.....
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Yup - it looks like that scraper was sharpened correctly.
Yes
(11-18-2017, 10:26 PM)Woodcut Wrote: Am making 4 sets of shaker oval boxes out of maple, sizes 0 thru 4, and thought I would scrape the bands before shaping them into oval boxes.  Much easier to get most of the finishing prep done while the stock is flat.
Anyway, I made a small pile of scraper shavings and thought I'd share.
[Image: 4893.jpg]
By my rough calculations, scraping both sides of the bands, it comes to about 23 square feet of scraping.  
Time for some schnapps!
c

What brand of scraper are you running there. Homemade, production made?
Looks like it must have some V-8 power in it.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Beautiful! Isn’t a sharp scraper wonderful?

I remember getting my first card scrapers. Once I learned to use them, I was thinking, “Where have you been all my woodworking life?!?!?” Can’t imagine doing woodwork without them now.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(11-25-2017, 07:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: What brand of scraper are you running there. Homemade, production made?
Looks like it must have some V-8 power in it.
Laugh

Just the one pictured, from a Garlick & Son set.  The curved one lets me pull the scraper with one hand (which I prefer over pushing away) and target the area I want.  I usually skew the steel while pulling, makes a super-fine shaving...
Like they said, once you use a sharp scraper, you wonder how you got along without it....
c
Ok thanks
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Those are picture perfect shavings. I have ten card scrapers, I'm lucky if 3 out of ten work that well.
Just curious though. What is the the board upon which the shavings sit? Almost appears to be a sheet of galvanized on top of some plywood. But my perceptions may be off, I'm on a second glass of fine Spanish red.