Gas Generator Won't Run
I have a 5000W gas generator.  It hasn't been run in at least 8 months, probably longer.   For as long as I've had it, I needed starting fluid to get it going, but it would always run.  last week it would only run for a few seconds after the squirt of starting fluid.  I drained the gas, replaced the fuel filter and and ended up replacing the carb.   It turned out a new carb was cheaper than the gaskets and O-rings for the old one.  Today with new gas, same thing.   I hit it with starting fluid, it runs for a few seconds and quits.  it's acting like it's not getting fuel.  The new fuel filter has a clear body, I can see fuel in it.  I've verified fuel at the carb - if I drop the bowl there's fuel in the bowl.  Would the new carb need adjusting?   I'm not sure what else I'm missing. 

sorry for any lack of detail.  I'm not sure what's relevant, such as the lack of a fuel pump.  I just assumed all 5000W generators have small engines with gravity-feed fuel systems. 
Is the fuel filter before or after the pump?
Have you put in new plugs?
Are the fuel lines clear?
Have you tried starting it with the air filter off?
Is the choke working?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(11-19-2017, 05:31 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Is the fuel filter before or after the pump?
Have you put in new plugs?
Are the fuel lines clear?
Have you tried starting it with the air filter off?
Is the choke working?

Gravity feed, no pump.
No.  I thought about a new plug.  
As far as I know they are. the filter is getting fuel, the carb is getting fuel.  Whether it's getting enough, I don't know.  I can disconnect them and blow them out.  However, the bowl had plenty of fuel in it as far as I could tell.  
Yes.  I have to take the filter off to spray the starting fluid into the intake.
Yes.  It's a manual choke, when I choke it I can see it close the intake.
any fuel lines in there that didnt get replaced?
i would go easy with the starting fluid. might be wise to get it running properly without using any starting fluid.
(11-19-2017, 06:29 PM)tomsteve Wrote: any fuel lines in there that didnt get replaced?
i would go easy with the starting fluid. might be wise to get it running properly without using any starting fluid.

None of the fuel lines got replaced.  That was going to be my next thing to try, but I wanted to see if there was anything else I was missing.
Unhook the fuel line from the carb and hold it to a empty can. Turn the gas tank valve on (if it has a valve) and let the fuel run until the bean can is full, insuring you have a steady fuel supply.
This check will eliminate a clogged tank or fuel line.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-19-2017, 08:02 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Unhook the fuel line from the carb and hold it to a empty can. Turn the gas tank valve on (if it has a valve) and let the fuel run until the bean can is full, insuring you have a steady fuel supply.
This check will eliminate a clogged tank or fuel line.

it does, and I'll do this.  when I drained the old gas out of the tank I drained it out just after the filter, before the carb.  I know that at least the line from the tank to the filter is good.
Gas tank valve open?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(11-19-2017, 05:09 PM)crokett™ Wrote: I have a 5000W gas generator.  It hasn't been run in at least 8 months, probably longer.   For as long as I've had it, I needed starting fluid to get it going, but it would always run.  last week it would only run for a few seconds after the squirt of starting fluid.  I drained the gas, replaced the fuel filter and and ended up replacing the carb.   It turned out a new carb was cheaper than the gaskets and O-rings for the old one.  Today with new gas, same thing.   I hit it with starting fluid, it runs for a few seconds and quits.  it's acting like it's not getting fuel.  The new fuel filter has a clear body, I can see fuel in it.  I've verified fuel at the carb - if I drop the bowl there's fuel in the bowl.  Would the new carb need adjusting?   I'm not sure what else I'm missing. 

sorry for any lack of detail.  I'm not sure what's relevant, such as the lack of a fuel pump.  I just assumed all 5000W generators have small engines with gravity-feed fuel systems. 

Try adjusting it richer.   Remember the settings it was, I count the turns to close so I can go back.   Sounds like a fuel issue.   Roly
(11-20-2017, 08:48 AM)Roly Wrote:  Try adjusting it richer.   Remember the settings it was, I count the turns to close so I can go back.   Sounds like a fuel issue.   Roly
Typically, most small engine carbs cannot be adjusted.

Did you check the oil?  Many generators have a low oil shut off.  I had one with a bad shut off switch once.  Did the same thing ran for a second or two and quit.  When we bypassed the switch it fixed the problem.

Other than that it sounds like a fuel issue, but before you decide that, replace the spark plug.....

....before you load it up and carry it to a shop ;-)