wiring timer switch
I know just enough about elec work to know when to call in a pro.

But I feel I should be able to do this.

Timer switch has ground wire, hot wire [blk] and RED wire [label: LOAD].

The wiring in the wall outlet box is standard black, white, green.

I would assume black-to-black and green-to-green but when I put "white to red" the timer appears to have no power.

Yes....the CB in "ON'  
Smile 

Sniffer detects current in hot/black wire connection.

TIA!
(11-20-2017, 01:08 PM)varkpilot Wrote: I know just enough about elec work to know when to call in a pro.

The wiring in the wall outlet box is standard black, white, green.

I would assume black-to-black and green-to-green but when I put "white to red" the timer appears to have no power.

Yes....the CB in "ON'  
Smile 

Sniffer detects current in hot/black wire connection.

TIA!

The black and red are the switch wires. No neutral to switch. What are looking to do???
John T.
What kind of switch is it?

Is the timer battery powered?  Sounds like it is or else a white wire connection to the timer would be needed.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Or spring driven.  Incoming hot on black, out to device on red, neutral straight through to device.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-20-2017, 02:02 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: The black and red are the switch wires. No neutral to switch. What are looking to do???

No battery that I know of.

WRT "what are you looking to do".....wire it correctly so as to replace standard ON/OFF switch with a timer switch to control exterior lighting, in particular Christmas lights.

Sooooooo, do I connect black-to-timer RED [labeled "LOAD"] and white to timer BLACK [labeled "HOT"] ?
(11-20-2017, 02:17 PM)varkpilot Wrote: No battery that I know of.

WRT "what are you looking to do".....wire it correctly so as to replace standard ON/OFF switch with a timer switch to control exterior lighting, in particular Christmas lights.

Sooooooo, do I connect black-to-timer RED [labeled "LOAD"] and white to timer BLACK [labeled "HOT"] ?

Are you trying to install this where an outlet was or where a switch was ?   Sounds like it is made to replace a switch.   Most have a LCD display and a battery inside.   Roly
(11-20-2017, 02:17 PM)varkpilot Wrote: No battery that I know of.

many digital timers take a 9 volt battery. You better look harder.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Is there a load connected to it? Without the white (neutral) to the timer, it has to use either the ground (which I don't believe it does), or the load to get the 'return' path.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(11-20-2017, 03:33 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: many digital timers take a 9 volt battery. You better look harder.

Woods Model 59020 In- Wall Digital Timer instructions:  "Memory Backup:  The timer is equipped with a rechargeable battery which will protect your programs during power failure for up to 30 days.  No need to replace battery
[emphasis mine].  Note that the screen blanks during a power failure."

I've never seen a device wiring configuration with a black, a red, and a green wires.  The instructions show the black device wire and the red device wire connected to TWO black wires coming from the source and the green device wire connected to the source green wire.  Never seen a source configuration like that, either!
(11-20-2017, 01:08 PM)varkpilot Wrote: I know just enough about elec work to know when to call in a pro.

LOAD is for the device being powered - light, receptacle, whatever. your timer is just a switch.  it switches the hot, at least according to what I'm seeing online for your timer with no neutral.

from your description you need to wire green on the timer to existing ground.  black on the timer goes to the existing black (hot).  red on the timer is the load, so it goes to black on the device you are controlling.     leave your existing white wires the way they are.