Stranded Cable in Home Wiring
Don’t make chit up and you won’t embarrass yourself.
Now where is it listed that Stakons are permitted ?   I know it is common practice but the devices are listed for use with solid and stranded wire.    Unless it is listed for use on the device it is not technically permitted to be used .   Roly
oh good lord. here we go...

I won't comment on stakons, but even through EMT the few times I used it, I'd pull a separate ground. nothing to do with what's code or whether the inspector would allow using EMT as ground. the main reason is for what I found in the basement of my old house, where EMT had been used for most of the receptacle and switch boxes on the concrete block walls of the basement. One of them the EMT had been disconnected from the box so at least that box wasn't grounded. Second was in another spot someone had cut into the EMT and added a PVC box and LB with a Tee, thereby undoing the ground for everything down stream of the PVC.
(11-21-2017, 03:50 PM)crokett™ Wrote: oh good lord.  here we go...

I won't comment on stakons, but even through EMT the few times I used it, I'd pull a separate ground.  the main reason is for what I found in the basement of my old house, where EMT had been used for most of the receptacle and switch boxes on the concrete block walls of the basement.    One of them the EMT had been disconnected from the box so at least that box wasn't grounded.  Second was in another spot someone had cut into the EMT and added a plastic box and plastic LB with a Tee, thereby undoing the ground for everything down stream of the plastic

I'm not saying you CAN'T use a separate ground.

I'm saying you don't HAVE to use a separate ground.

Edit to add: Obviously, it has to be properly installed in order to use it as a ground.

We were discussing code, though. Code is code, when someone says something is code, they should get the code correct. If they want to say "this would be better than code and I'd advise it," fine. But don't say it is required, when it isn't.
(11-21-2017, 03:27 PM)Roly Wrote: Now where is it listed that Stakons are permitted ?   I know it is common practice but the devices are listed for use with solid and stranded wire.    Unless it is listed for use on the device it is not technically permitted to be used .   Roly

I believe Sta-Kons are technically only permissible if the manufacturer of the device indicates they can be used.
(11-21-2017, 03:50 PM)crokett™ Wrote: oh good lord.  here we go...

I won't comment on stakons, but even through EMT the few times I used it, I'd pull a separate ground.  nothing to do with what's code or whether the inspector would allow using EMT as ground.   the main reason is for what I found in the basement of my old house, where EMT had been used for most of the receptacle and switch boxes on the concrete block walls of the basement.    One of them the EMT had been disconnected from the box so at least that box wasn't grounded.  Second was in another spot someone had cut into the EMT and added a PVC box and LB with a Tee, thereby undoing the ground for everything down stream of the PVC.

The PVC is a real safety hazard when home owners don't understand it breaks the ground.  What you see on most DIY shows is cutting a hole here or there and stabbing in a old work pvc box and everything looks great by the end of the show.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I am not going to get into code and practices here because that is a no win situation. My work has been industrial, and commercial work mainly so I will leave the homeowners dual it out. I would suggest you pull a ground to be on the safe side. In case those locknuts become corroded or there is a break in the pipe someday. Not sure where you are doing this so you did not mention that or I missed it. I will leave the answering to the experts. I see there is one in particular. My answer to the OP is yes by all means you can use it. The biggest concern with pulling wire in pipe is fill capacity and if need be derating but will let Phil explain that if that comes up. He is the expert and master electrician here.
John T.
I'm not an electrician.

That metal conduit can be used as a ground is fairly common knowledge.

I recommend this book for anyone with basic wiring questions:

https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simplified...cal+wiring
(11-21-2017, 10:57 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: I'm not an electrician.

That metal conduit can be used as a ground is fairly common knowledge.

I recommend this book for anyone with basic wiring questions:

https://www.amazon.com/Wiring-Simplified...cal+wiring

You are correct about the metal tubing but to be honest in today's world I don't think it is safe.  So anyone can choose to do the minimum or to take the extra step to make sure everything that could be done to insure safety was done.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-22-2017, 12:02 AM)Bob10 Wrote: You are correct about the metal tubing but to be honest in today's world I don't think it is safe.  So anyone can choose to do the minimum or to take the extra step to make sure everything that could be done to insure safety was done.

Well more is better, can’t argue about that.