Early WoodNet, still more added
The forum started around 1997 or so. August Home Publishing had an editor who felt a free to join woodworking forum would be a good feature for the companies woodworking magazine stable.

The original rules were simple:
Stay on Topic
Be nice
Have Fun

Seriously, those were the initial rules.

Then original list of forums were:
Woodworking
Woodworking tools
Home improvement
Questions about Forum features
Swap'n'Sell(I think)

There were several big changes as the membership grew. As the forum grew, WoodNet became fairly popular with the cheap seats(no cost to join/post/etc.) and after several years developed a two faceted reputation. The predominant one was this was the Wild, Wild West of woodworking forums that shot first and neglected to ask questions.

The secondary reputation was of a forum where anyone was welcome(if they behaved) and could find good information from many well experienced members who offered information/advice for free.

Soon, Admin found they needed to keep an eye on the proceedings, so several editors(and a really good IT fellow) took on extra duties as Moderators. They found the most needed duty was Poofing false identities/trolls/troublemakers and so on. The phrase created for that activity was PostStop(this was long before SawStop, btw!).

They got so involved in Poofing, they began to keep score(among themselves) I found out about the 'competition' and made a trophy to pass around weekly to the Poofer of the most Poofs.
[attachment=5859]

The Off Topic was initiated because serious woodworkers had no stomach for OT topics in their Woodworking area and got pretty upset about all the frivolity being had there(Labeled OT, of course).

At some point, management started including banner advertising to help defray costs. When the denizens of the OT complained, Admin created a banner ad for just the OT. A picture of an outhouse. Great fun. I had to memorialize that event.[attachment=5860] I presented that to the Admin folks during one of the member tours they sponsored.

More later, if there is interest. And anyone is asked to include other experiences!!!!
Good stuff, Mac. Keep it coming!
I am curious about the early days here, as so many old timers have eluded to.
Ag
(11-20-2017, 08:52 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Good stuff, Mac. Keep it coming!
I am curious about the early days here, as so many old timers have eluded to.
Ag

Interesting story.
Awesome!  Give us more.

When I joined, postings were so frequent you had to check in three times a day or you would miss the earlier posts.  There were so many willing to help and a few who offered levity.  I could never afford to repay for all I have learned here.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-20-2017, 09:08 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Awesome!  Give us more.

When I joined, postings were so frequent you had to check in three times a day or you would miss the earlier posts.  There were so many willing to help and a few who offered levity.  I could never afford to repay for all I have learned here.

Yep, used to be a busy place.  I would set the clock to limit my time on the forum.  If I read everything, I got nothing done in the shop.

Used to hear straight from the horses mouth too.  Papa Grizzly was here.  Chuck, who worked for Freud.  A few others too.  Brian from Holbren is still here.

You say you started in 97.  I got here as soon as I could.  I have been here 12 years.  It does not seem that long.  I learn a lot.  As a hobbiest, this forum has been great. 

While McReynolds says this forum is free, it has cost me a lot of money!  Of course it saved a lot as well.

I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I was the first one you asked to give you a hand moderating. It sure did get interesting.
I actually met someone I banned at an art show. Even after almost a year he was still mad.
I never got a trophy, but I remember them.
VH07V  
Yep I remember how busy it used to be back in the day. It really was a great resource back when I first started back in ‘01. I pity people just starting the hobby now with all the hacks on YouTube and Facebook groups giving pee poor advise!
-Marc

It was a great place to learn if you paid attention and there was a handful of posters who could spank really hard when needed!! The knowledge was wide and deep on most any topic.
Watch your fingers!!

I've learned a ton here, from some pretty bright guys. Had lots.of laughs, too. OT (the basement) got me in trouble twice, neither with malice in mind, but silly. Been upstairs only for 3 years now.

I miss a lot of the guys who used to spend time and give of their knowledge here. Some have passed on; Gillie, Scooterdawg, and a few more.

I've probably bought more tools here from members than anyone else. Great shopping here.

I've been lucky enough to meet in person many WN members from all around the world. Some lifelong friends made through this place.

Just realized that I just passed my 10 year anniversary here. Wow.

Love hearing the history, Mac. Keep it rolling.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I found this place by doing a search,I needed some advice.Joined and asked my question and got an answer from BobZ within 20 mins.That was back in 2002,been hanging around ever since.Great place for advice of all kinds..Keep up the memories Mac.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member