Upgrading shop lights to LED ?
There are a lot of different types of 4' LED's available. Some are "plug and play" which basically means they work with the existing ballast (sometimes). The ballasts typically have to be electronic. There are also "direct wire", which means the ballast is by-passed or not used. The different types of lamp holders, "tombstones" are where you'll run into problems. "Shunted" (pin connections are common) and "non-shunted" (pin connections are separate) tombstones look very similar or even identical to each other. Personally I prefer direct wire so I don't have to worry about starting in cold temperatures or messing with it again if the ballast goes bad. I also think that the trend will be towards "direct wire" bulbs in the future.

Here is a short u-tube video I found for those who prefer "show me".   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xe54orVNY 
This one's more of a step "how to" .   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjw2UXVJaS0
There are a lot more out there but these were at least professionally presented. (I have no affiliation with either.)

Hope this helps.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I'm working on upgrading my fluorescents too. I did 6-4foot fixtures and 2-8 foot fixtures with the intent to do the other 4 8-foot fixtures if the bulbs I ordered were worth the trouble and cost. WOW what a difference the light was. It almost looks dark off in the other half of the shop where the remaining fluorescents are. I found a place to buy 8 foot tubes for 18 bucks a piece and so far I am super happy with them. These are the bypass type so I did about 10 minutes of work, because I preferred to remove the ballast.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
Tinman,
Where are you getting these?
I have 6 8' double fluorescent lights I want to convert to LEDs.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(11-23-2017, 10:11 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: There are a lot of different types of 4' LED's available. Some are "plug and play" which basically means they work with the existing ballast (sometimes). The ballasts typically have to be electronic. There are also "direct wire", which means the ballast is by-passed or not used. The different types of lamp holders, "tombstones" are where you'll run into problems. "Shunted" (pin connections are common) and "non-shunted" (pin connections are separate) tombstones look very similar or even identical to each other. Personally I prefer direct wire so I don't have to worry about starting in cold temperatures or messing with it again if the ballast goes bad. I also think that the trend will be towards "direct wire" bulbs in the future.

Here is a short u-tube video I found for those who prefer "show me".   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6xe54orVNY 
This one's more of a step "how to" .   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjw2UXVJaS0
There are a lot more out there but these were at least professionally presented. (I have no affiliation with either.)

Hope this helps.

I found that replacing the fixture was the way to go, rather than retrofitting.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(11-23-2017, 04:36 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Tinman,
Where are you getting these?
I have 6 8' double fluorescent lights I want to convert to LEDs.
Gary, here is a link to the tubes I ordered. I have some installed and I am happy with them , the rest are ordered and should be here tomorrow.
https://greenlightdepot.com/collections/...5880441894
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
I replaced my hanging fixtures because it was easier. I found the new LEDs at Costco. They are lightweight and easy to install. They also daisy chain because the LEDs draw so little electricity. The daisy chaining makes it easy to set up a string to light different areas. All can be switched individually but there is only one cord to deal with at the outlet. The new lights really make a big difference.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(11-27-2017, 10:46 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I replaced my hanging fixtures because it was easier. I found the new LEDs at Costco. They are lightweight and easy to install. They also daisy chain because the LEDs draw so little electricity. The daisy chaining makes it easy to set up a string to light different areas. All can be switched individually but there is only one cord to deal with at the outlet. The new lights really make a big difference.

got mine at sam's, same basic deal, daisy chain them, minimizes wiring. Put them in the basement, so much brighter now. Going to slowly do it in the shop.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
Last night I found 4' LED T-8's at Lowes for $5.44 each. (That's the best price I've seen.) They are "plug & play" ready, or can be direct wired. They only had 8 in the store; I have them now.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(11-29-2017, 11:26 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Last night I found 4' LED T-8's at Lowes for $5.44 each. (That's the best price I've seen.) They are "plug & play" ready, or can be direct wired. They only had 8 in the store; I have them now.

I'd rather pay forty bucks for LED bulbs instead of putting up new fixtures. 

Heck, my fixtures have been up for so long they are growing weeds because of all the saw dust which has accumulated on top of them through the years.  I wonder if I will have to hire a gardener to cut the grass on my fixtures?  Don't you just hate it when you hit a light fixture and a ton of dust explodes into the shop?  And it always happens just as you put the last coat of finish on a project.
Upset
(11-30-2017, 04:55 AM)Tynyyn Wrote: I'd rather pay forty bucks for LED bulbs instead of putting up new fixtures. 

Heck, my fixtures have been up for so long they are growing weeds because of all the saw dust which has accumulated on top of them through the years.  I wonder if I will have to hire a gardener to cut the grass on my fixtures?  Don't you just hate it when you hit a light fixture and a ton of dust explodes into the shop?  And it always happens just as you put the last coat of finish on a project.
Upset

That dust cloud is just a sign that the shop needs a blowout. Put on your dust mask, open the doors, crank up the compressor, and blow away.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com