Advice on Linux
I have the old Vista windows, but the computer works fine, just slow as snails and no more updates for some time and many new programs aren't made with Vista in mind.
 What happens if I go with Linux and what can I expect? Which type Linux would suit me the best?
ubuntu is pretty easy if all the drivers for your computer are reliable.  I was using a computer from that era until about a year ago, and really it was fine.  Hard drive died, so I got a new computer when I bought the SSD. In fact, you might want to think about the ssd when you convert, your hard drive is probably past its sell-by date.

I only ever do word processing and mostly web browsing, so ubuntu is fine.  Some of the technical stuff I do requires software that only works on windows.  I'm finally going back to having a windows machine again for software development on projects that require windows.
I've got Linux Mint installed on an old Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop in the shop and I'm happy with it. Perfectly usable for streaming music and looking for info on the web.
chris
I might just get a new computer (prefer a mac) and put this one in the shop. I really would like to do without windows- windows is nothing but a huge mess. Might just buy a Linux system already installed.
I've kept this one running for more years than it's expectations, replacing the power drive and other misc things.
(11-23-2017, 12:21 PM)daddo Wrote: I have the old Vista windows, but the computer works fine, just slow as snails and no more updates for some time and many new programs aren't made with Vista in mind.
 What happens if I go with Linux and what can I expect? Which type Linux would suit me the best?

You should be able to experiment to your hearts content with Live installs of the various linux flavors until you find one you like.

Pretty easy to create a usb drive with linux on it that will run pretty much like the final install would:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tu...-windows#0

https://www.linux.com/learn/5-live-linux...hould-know
If you want to just install it and use it as-is, you want Linux Mint. It defaults to a user interface that's very much like Windows, and most of what you might need - web browser, etc will be pre-installed. As was said already, you can download images that can be booted either off ISO or USB and they are fully functional, you can try them. Just remember that any settings you change won't survive a reboot. I use a different distribution, but I'm more comfortable with the tweaking it needs after it's installed.

Contact me for any questions you have.
An ubuntu usb live disk will save changes to the usb, doesn't Mint? I like to have a usb with recovery tools on it
I've been using a version called PCLinuxOS for about 10 years. It is somewhat similar to Mint. Both will likely install and recognize all your components without issue during installation. Your main concern is whether your system is 32 bit or 64 bit. Many versions of Linux will no longer work with 32 bit. PCLinuxOS will not. I'm not sure about Mint. It might still have a 32 bit version. I have no first hand experience with it, but I have read that Ubuntu is not a good version (they are referred to as "distributions" or "distro") for beginners. OpenSuse is also a good one. You might find a users forum for one you are interested in and read through the postings there. This way you can get a "feel" for how user friendly it is.

As mentioned above, you can use a "LiveDVD" or LiveUSB" to run the distro without installing it. It will be somewhat slower, but you can get a feel for it. You can either learn to make one or buy one already made from the distro website. To make one, all you need to do is download the distro from it's website and burn it to DVD or USB. There is a slightly different process for each.

Go to distrowatch.com and you will find lots of information and links for various distros

Linux would be a good choice in your situation. Linux generally works well with older systems. If you still need Windows occasionally, you can keep it on the HD and create a dual boot. Most distros will handle this automatically during installation. Information on doing this is readily available on the distro website and elsewhere.

Most, if not all, distros have their own repositories where you can download/install most any software you want or need. Most are equivalent or better than Windows applications. Those that I'm familiar with will install with standard applications for office functions, presentation, graphics, sound, video, system utilities, etc. They will also find and configure your internet connection with minimal input from you. Also, if you stay with software from the repository, you will have almost no concerns with malware. I think you will find consensus that Linux is generally less susceptible to malware, but not immune.

Unless you really want a new computer, I would not spend the money on a new one with Linux already installed. It is just too easy to install it on the one you have. As mentioned above, the addition of an SSD will speed things up a bit if you need to.

Good luck!
If it's still slow with the linux you choose, I have had good luck with lubuntu.  It's the same as ubuntu except for changes that make it work well with older, slower systems
(11-24-2017, 01:32 PM)EricU Wrote: An ubuntu usb live disk will save changes to the usb, doesn't Mint? I like to have a usb with recovery tools on it

Perhaps.  I'm not sure I ever tried. I didn't do much with Ubuntu.  Before I Got my Mac I ran Fedora, and rolled my own custom install/live image with all the SW and tools I needed.