Lee Valley Cyber Monday Sale
My miter shooting plane arrived this morning and if this is a second, I'm a fifth or sixth! I can find absolutely nothing wrong with it! The heft is nice and the auxiliary handle works perfectly for me. I have an LN #9 and I find the LV plane much more comfortable. Before anyone asks, I am not going to sell the LN! I am fortunate to have a shop at home in my basement and a second shop at one of the buildings that make up my manufacturing plant, hence I need two shooting planes!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(11-30-2017, 10:32 AM)Tony Z Wrote: ..., hence I need two shooting planes!

As long as your wife buys that, that's all that counts.  My wife hasn't seen the one I ordered yet and it's my first one so I hope I'm good.
Winkgrin
The site went live ~12:11am. By 12:15am, the first specialty plane that I clicked on was already sold out. From then until ~12:25am, every specialty plane that I tried was sold out. I am confused about how anyone got a shooting plane at 3:30am. I guess that someone must have changed their mind about one that they had in their cart after the last time that I checked.

I did manage to snag a Veritas scraper burnisher second. I had been eyeing them for a while. It will be interesting to see how it affects my use of drop-nose scrapers.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-02-2017, 02:45 AM)iclark Wrote: The site went live ~12:11am. By 12:15am, the first specialty plane that I clicked on was already sold out. From then until ~12:25am, every specialty plane that I tried was sold out. I am confused about how anyone got a shooting plane at 3:30am. I guess that someone must have changed their mind about one that they had in their cart after the last time that I checked...

I don't believe the Lee Valley shopping cart works that way. I know from experience that items in one's cart are not reserved. I added a 'seconds' plane to my cart one year, went straight to checkout, and it was no longer available as someone checked out with the same item just before I did.
(12-02-2017, 02:45 AM)iclark Wrote: The site went live ~12:11am. By 12:15am, the first specialty plane that I clicked on was already sold out. From then until ~12:25am, every specialty plane that I tried was sold out. I am confused about how anyone got a shooting plane at 3:30am. I guess that someone must have changed their mind about one that they had in their cart after the last time that I checked.

I did manage to snag a Veritas scraper burnisher second. I had been eyeing them for a while. It will be interesting to see how it affects my use of drop-nose scrapers.

Most of the specialty planes did go super-fast, but the miter planes seemed to be an exception. They lasted a fair bit longer. The description of a common cosmetic issue that they all shared made it sound like there had been a bad run of these so they may have had a larger supply of seconds than for other planes.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
Maybe I am not looking closely enough, but my block plane looks perfect to me. I've been buying the "seconds" for at least five years. I don't have any complaints, and if they had marks, I would expect that. They still are pieces of art to me. I guess if I paid full price I might be more concerned, but in reality they are tools.

My kids will probably sell them are a garage sale for cents on the dollar some day.
As Inalready posted, my "miter shooting plane" didn't have a mark on it anywhere. The only thing I see that someone might quibble about, was the wood on the three handles was each aifferent shade. Now is that a reason for a reject? Not in my book, especially since my planes have "used" look to them!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com