Leaky Dishwasher Gasket
I have a 5 year old GE Monogram Dishwasher.  It leaks steam out of the top edge, and at times I get water pooling under the front door.  (I'm not sure if it's a real leak or condensation dripping.)  (Of course, I didn't notice this until after the warranty expired.)  I repairman came and said I needed a new gasket. ($150 for advice I could have learned from a 5 minute google search.  My bad.)  He wanted $650 to replace the gasket.

I bought a new gasket on line for $20 and replaced it.  But I'm still getting steam out of the top.  I'm pretty sure the gasket is seated correctly.
Any thoughts on what other causes of the steam?  Is there a trick to putting in the gasket I'm not aware of?

(11-27-2017, 08:24 AM)David Stone Wrote: I have a 5 year old GE Monogram Dishwasher.  It leaks steam out of the top edge, and at times I get water pooling under the front door.  (I'm not sure if it's a real leak or condensation dripping.)  (Of course, I didn't notice this until after the warranty expired.)  I repairman came and said I needed a new gasket. ($150 for advice I could have learned from a 5 minute google search.  My bad.)  He wanted $650 to replace the gasket.

I bought a new gasket on line for $20 and replaced it.  But I'm still getting steam out of the top.  I'm pretty sure the gasket is seated correctly.
Any thoughts on what other causes of the steam?  Is there a trick to putting in the gasket I'm not aware of?

Our Samsung has done that since new.  I always thought it was supposed to.
Some have a vent at the top.

I've seen dishwashers installed askew/wracked. Jammed in, not level, screwed in with the frame twisted. I can imagine that the door won't seat correctly on the gasket if that's the case.

They started mounting the drain hose on the side of the washers, looped up above sink base level and then insulated over it. I've seen these things forced in in too tight of a space. Making it impossible to put in straight. That hose does not have to loop inside the cabinet. Code says it hast to loop under the sink where it can bee seen. If that's the problem, pull out the washer and re-rout the bulky hose where it isn't binding on the cabinet. It has to be looped up above the base of the sink level to create an air pocket at the top of the hose so water draining from the sink doesn't siphon (cross connect) back into the washer. It basically does the same thing as the old washer vents that we saw as kids on top of the sink.

Could you unscrew the washer, level it and make sure it isn't jammed in crooked and re-set it in position?

I'd try that.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

the vent on the dishwasher may be near the top. if it's not, find it and clean it out. Our old house the dishwasher would have water on the floor every time we ran it. It turned out to be years of crud buildup in the vent. I cleaned out the vent, no more water on the floor.
I figured it out.  I put the gasket in with the flange in the wrong direction.  I flipped it around and now there's no more steam leaking.

Cool
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(11-28-2017, 08:03 AM)crokett™ Wrote: the vent on the dishwasher may be near the top.  if it's not, find it and clean it out.  Our old house the dishwasher would have water on the floor every time we ran it.  It turned out to be years of crud buildup in the vent.  I cleaned out the vent, no more water on the floor.

Mine steams and drips down the door.  Which is stainless, therefore always dirty with drip streaks.  
Upset