Shop wall finish??
I'm completing my detached garage/workshop and have a finish question if I may.

Interior is sanded plywood, ( I hate sheet rocking/taping) I would like to maintain the nice wood look.  would sanding sealer do the job, or more of a satin poly provide a more durable finish?

Thanks

Jeff
I understand your appreciation of the finished wood look. However, painting it a light color will result in better light reflection onto your work. This may even allow you to get by with fewer light fixtures.
Yes, a true finish will be more durable and satin poly would be a good choice. 

John
I wouldn't worry about light. You can always add a light where you need it. You don't need 10,000 watts of halogen lights to see what your doing. Makes you wonder how those old time woodworking craftsman ever made it before florescent lights.
Use a sealer and then clear coat. You could also use a dye like old style green first, sand and then clear coat.

Or do it like everyone else. Once you paint it a color, you have to keep painting it.
(11-27-2017, 02:11 PM)daddo Wrote: I wouldn't worry about light. You can always add a light where you need it.

Or do it like everyone else. Once you paint it a color, you have to keep painting it.

Respectfully, I differ with your comment. Jeff can and should do as he wishes. However, it is a fact that wall color will have an effect on lighting and I suggest that this might be a factor in his decision and should not be dismissed as unimportant.

The need for repainting would be a personal decision and would depend on a number of factors. I painted the interior of my shop when it was built over 10 years ago. While it is dusty, scuffed, and covered with hanging tools, it's a shop and I don't feel a need to repaint it yet.
(11-27-2017, 03:35 PM)Willyou Wrote: Respectfully, I differ with your comment. Jeff can and should do as he wishes. However, it is a fact that wall color will have an effect on lighting and I suggest that this might be a factor in his decision and should not be dismissed as unimportant.

The need for repainting would be a personal decision and would depend on a number of factors. I painted the interior of my shop when it was built over 10 years ago. While it is dusty, scuffed, and covered with hanging tools, it's a shop and I don't feel a need to repaint it yet.

"Interior is sanded plywood, ( I hate sheet rocking/taping) I would like to maintain the nice wood look.  would sanding sealer do the job, or more of a satin poly provide a more durable finish?".

I think he has made his decision and wants advice on finishing the wood.
Jeff, I apologize that the process of answering your question got adversarial. I was under the impression that a forum was for the purpose of offering alternative solutions/opinions about problems. Of course, you should do what you like best.

Sarcasm ..
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

No worries. Thanks all for your opinions and advise. Much appreciated
Coat of BLO would protect that plywood. Not to costly.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020