Wiring a speed controller into an outlet
Is there any reason why I cannot wire a speed controller into a 110 outlet?? The application is such that I want to configure an air exhaust fan into a window with a piece of lexan but I need to be able to remove it in the winter. My idea was just to put a duplex plug on the fan and then when I remove it from the window, I can just unplug it from the outlet. I suppose the only risk is that if someone were to plug something else into that outlet and the speed controller had turned down(voltage/amperage or whatever) and the attached device would not have the correct power supplied. It seems pretty easy in that I would just wire the speed controller into the hot-side of the circuit. thanks for any thoughts---brian
there are fan speed controls for that application assuming they will drive your fan.  http://www.leviton.com/en/products/light...d-controls
(11-27-2017, 04:11 PM)bsheffer Wrote: Is there any reason why I cannot wire a speed controller into a 110 outlet?? The application is such that I want to configure an air exhaust fan into a window with a piece of lexan but I need to be able to remove it in the winter. My idea was just to put a duplex plug on the fan and then when I remove it from the window, I can just unplug it from the outlet. I suppose the only risk is that if someone were to plug something else into that outlet and the speed controller had turned down(voltage/amperage or whatever) and the attached device would not have the correct power supplied. It seems pretty easy in that I would just wire the speed controller into the hot-side of the circuit. thanks for any thoughts---brian

Why not just get a VS fan controller and plug into outlet and plug fan into it. unplug when done using.

www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Hydro-Variable-Speed-Controller/dp/B00BLOSG7I/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511834643&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fan+speed+controllers&psc=1
John T.
(11-27-2017, 09:06 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Why not just get a VS fan controller and plug into outlet and plug fan into it. unplug when done using.

www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Hydro-Variable-Speed-Controller/dp/B00BLOSG7I/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1511834643&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fan+speed+controllers&psc=1

I ended up buying this...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9...UTF8&psc=1

as it just seemed to be the cleanest thing I could come up with. But I see what you are saying and that would have been the right product to buy. Shame on me for not doing some more research....darn!! I might try to backpeddle and go the way you suggest. thanks...
If you already have that controller why don't you make your own plug in case for it? A double gang box some wire a receptacle and a male plug you should be good. Won't be as small or light as store bought ones but should work. Or being a woodworking forum build a nice wooden box to hold it all.
(11-27-2017, 04:11 PM)bsheffer Wrote: Is there any reason why I cannot wire a speed controller into a 110 outlet?? The application is such that I want to configure an air exhaust fan into a window with a piece of lexan but I need to be able to remove it in the winter. My idea was just to put a duplex plug on the fan and then when I remove it from the window, I can just unplug it from the outlet. I suppose the only risk is that if someone were to plug something else into that outlet and the speed controller had turned down(voltage/amperage or whatever) and the attached device would not have the correct power supplied. It seems pretty easy in that I would just wire the speed controller into the hot-side of the circuit. thanks for any thoughts---brian
 Just a note of caution:  I had a dimmer on the wall outlet in my house.  I hooked up my commercial studio strobe to that wall outlet without remembering to slide it to full power.  The repair for the transformer in the strobe was nearly 1/2 the purchase price.  Some devices can be damaged with reduced current.

With that out of the way this is one of many:  https://www.grainger.com/product/LEVITON...mthumb$
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.