Tenon Saws
I agree that it's a good idea to get a saw sharpened by an expert when you're starting out. A well sharpened saw is a joy to use and will make woodworking much more satisfying. I've got two or three LN back saws, but given the quality of their other tools I'm sure LV's are top notch, too. It's not a bad idea to learn to sharpen saws, but it's hard to get them right, especially if you're starting with an old $2 flea-market saw that hasn't been well maintained and has uneven teeth. A saw that's just a little dull is easier.
(11-29-2017, 02:02 PM)overland Wrote: I agree that it's a good idea to get a saw sharpened by an expert when you're starting out. A well sharpened saw is a joy to use and will make woodworking much more satisfying. I've got two or three LN back saws, but given the quality of their other tools  I'm sure LV's are top notch, too. It's not a bad idea to learn to sharpen saws, but it's hard to get them right, especially if you're starting with an old $2 flea-market saw that hasn't been well maintained and has uneven teeth. A saw that's just a little dull is easier.

+1. That being said, Saw sharpening is a skill worth mastering, but I agree when starting out, it can be an exercise in frustration before the “ah-ha” ehiphany occurs. But when it does, it’s incredibly satisfying.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis