Barn Wood Coffee Table
I'm still occasionally considering finishes for this table.  Also seems like someone else on the forum was asking about finishes for weathered wood.  Can't remember who or which forum.  I did a little experiment with two different varnishes.  Broke a board in half, and one half of one side was coated with Varnish #1, and half of the other side got Varnish #2.  The varnished half is on the top in both photos below.

Varnish #1 was General Finishes water base gloss.  As you might expect, it darkened the light gray color, but didn't really change it a lot.

[Image: 39192666144_23f154e6a8_z.jpg]

Varnish #2 was Varathane oil base gloss.  It also darkened the board, even more than Varnish #1.  Which is not surprising.

[Image: 39870366222_7de9a7df47_z.jpg]

So if I had to pick one to use that preserved the original look, it would be the water base varnish.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
Nice work.   I made a head board out of pallet wood for a friend's child.  I hit it with a 60 grit flap sanding disk using an angle grinder to take off any splinters, and surprisingly, that did not mess up the patina.  I sealed it with two coats of General Finishes semi gloss, and you don't see the finish, but again, it sealed the surface quite well.
I know this would spoil the look some, but have you thought about a sheet of glass over the top? this would preserve the existing weathering and still protect from splinters, etc.
(01-26-2018, 09:10 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I know this would spoil the look some, but have you thought about a sheet of glass over the top?  this would preserve the existing weathering and still protect from splinters, etc.

That's a good idea.....for most folks.  I have no one to blame but myself.  I made wooden mallets for several of my grandkids.....and they like to use them.  I'll skip the glass for now......  
Uhoh
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools