Dowel Forming Plate
Can I make one out of an old Lawnmower Blade?  Or should I just buy one from LN or LV?

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I know how you feel. They are stupid expensive off the shelf. I read, but don't have specifics remembered, soft steel can be drilled and hardened for one. There is even a mental image of the back ends being opened so the top is a narrow ring. I don't have metal working tools and can't trust HF to help at that end.
I made mine from a piece of O1 steel. Simply drilled a few various sized holes for different dowel sizes. No need to heat treat. The thicker the steel, the better as it takes a beating. I think mine is 3/16" thick steel. I think lawn mower blade would be a bit thin
(11-29-2017, 09:49 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Can I make one out of an old Lawnmower Blade?  Or should I just buy one from LN or LV?

Big Grin
Yes...if the steel is at least 1/8" thick..any steel is many times harder than wood so even mild steel will do..unless you intend on going into production to sell dowels, you wont need to harden it.

Ordinary drill bits will almost always drill a hole a few thou larger than stated on the bit...Here's a tip to "adjust" the size of the dowel a tad and sharpen the edge of the hole in the plate...Lay the plate on a hard surface, {an anvil is great for this} then using the ball end of a ball pein hammer, place it centered in the hole...strike the face of the hammer with a large, soft hammer like a big mallet or brass hammer...This will create a slightly smaller cutting surface in the plate by burnishing the steel and closing up the hole....Check the dowel for size each time...You can do the same thing using a ball bearing of the correct size but the bearing should not be struck with a steel hammer or it may shatter and become shrapnel..A ball pein hammer is nowhere near as hard.

Shoot me a pm if I can be of any help to you..
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks guys, lee valley has a nice little kit, but the forming plate would be very handy if it would work.
I'll keep an eye out for an old blade and give er a try.
(Hey, there are three on the old mower deck down at the horse barn.)
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(11-29-2017, 12:23 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: Ordinary drill bits will almost always drill a hole a few thou larger than stated on the bit...Here's a tip to "adjust" the size of the dowel a tad and sharpen the edge of the hole in the plate...Lay the plate on a hard surface, {an anvil is great for this} then using the ball end of a ball pein hammer, place it centered in the hole...strike the face of the hammer with a large, soft hammer like a big mallet or brass hammer...This will create a slightly smaller cutting surface in the plate by burnishing the steel and closing up the hole....Check the dowel for size each time...You can do the same thing using a ball bearing of the correct size but the bearing should not be struck with a steel hammer or it may shatter and become shrapnel..A ball pein hammer is nowhere near as hard.

I used a "double shoulder tie plate" that I found abandoned. (Sits between the rail and the railroad tie and keeps the rail from moving side-to-side.) It's steel and 3/8" thick, or more. It's easy to drill holes for whatever size dowel is required. I'm going to try the ball pein hammer trick. It sounds like a needed improvement on my set up, mainly providing some relief behind the cutting edge. So, thanks for the tip, Jack.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
Once again I learn something here every day. I always thought it would be nice to have one also, but I will try to make one.
A Stanley #77 is more fun...
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(11-29-2017, 09:49 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Can I make one out of an old Lawnmower Blade?  Or should I just buy one from LN or LV?

Big Grin

I made one out of 3 inch angle then bolted it to the side of my bench 
 my BIL saw it I have not seen it in 2 months
 guess i'll have to go get it
south vietnam war collage
(11-29-2017, 09:49 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: I had a LN one, but wanted to make my own, with more sizes. I used a 3/8" thick plate of steel, probably 01. It worked great, but I found there was much more effort involved, especially with the larger sizes. The LN and some old ones I had seen were only 1/4" thick so I relieved the bottom with a drill bit about 1/16" larger. I then mounted it on a solid block of wood about 4" thick.  I marked where the holes were and drilled them 1/8" larger. This "tunnel" guides the dowel straight down. Without a guide, sometimes the dowel can get going at an angle and it ruins it. With this I can pound the dowels thru and they don't fall on the floor.
Good luck!

Can I make one out of an old Lawnmower Blade?  Or should I just buy one from LN or LV?

Big Grin