Wood in contact with food
(11-30-2017, 09:25 PM)SteveS Wrote: And the third type of person; those who will never have a reaction, like me. I've been working with dalbergia genus woods for 30 years and never any type of reaction. I have over a dozen different species in my shop including working through 4000 lbs of African blackwood.

It's been noted that about 20% of the population has no reaction to poison ivy. Some percentage of the population will have no reaction to "rosewoods".

I have a reaction to Red Ceder but nothing else or poison ivy or poison oak either nor fiberglass but again sometimes Black walnut which I think if it is wet.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-30-2017, 10:03 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: I don't know of any food allergies associated with either if those woods.  I think that even Walnut would be OK.  People have an allergy to the nut /oil more so than the wood.

What exactly are you making?

Actually the protein that most people are allergic to in Walnut is found only in the nut meal, not in the oil.

On the other hand, walnut chips used as horse bedding can kill horses and using walnut chips as plant mulch can kill the other plants
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
(11-30-2017, 09:25 PM)SteveS Wrote: And the third type of person; those who will never have a reaction, like me. I've been working with dalbergia genus woods for 30 years and never any type of reaction. I have over a dozen different species in my shop including working through 4000 lbs of African blackwood.

It's been noted that about 20% of the population has no reaction to poison ivy. Some percentage of the population will have no reaction to "rosewoods".

I've been eating peanuts my whole life and never had a reaction, therefore I'm proclaiming them safe.
(11-30-2017, 09:37 AM)Stamper Wrote: Want to make some kitchen utensils and am concerned about which wood to use. Am thinking either hard maple or beech. All coments are appreciated, Thanks.

In the spoon making world many woods are used, even exotics. The difference seems to be the wood's carvability. Most spooners prefer fruitwoods like apple, pear,or plum if they can get it. Cherry, birch,walnut and maple are also common and I've never heard of toxic reactions to these.
(12-02-2017, 08:12 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: I've been eating peanuts my whole life and never had a reaction, therefore I'm proclaiming them safe.

And for you they are, and always will be, safe.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(12-02-2017, 11:02 AM)SteveS Wrote: And for you they are, and always will be, safe.

Unless I develop a allergy. I'm with you Steve.
(12-02-2017, 01:14 PM)Herebrooks Wrote: Unless I develop a allergy. I'm with you Steve.

That's the problem, you _can_ develop an allergy over time.  For example, I ate fish for over 35 years without a problem, but around 38 I developed an allergy bad enough to close my throat when I eat the stuff.  Allergy test confirmed my sensitivity.  So I'd recommend being careful with known bad woods even if you don't currently have an issue.  Walnut bothers me a little, and even though I think it's pretty stuff I'll never turn rosewood, it's not worth it to me.
(12-04-2017, 04:11 PM)Souperchicken Wrote: That's the problem, you _can_ develop an allergy over time.  For example, I ate fish for over 35 years without a problem, but around 38 I developed an allergy bad enough to close my throat when I eat the stuff.  Allergy test confirmed my sensitivity.  So I'd recommend being careful with known bad woods even if you don't currently have an issue.  Walnut bothers me a little, and even though I think it's pretty stuff I'll never turn rosewood, it's not worth it to me.

There's the rub. One can develop an allergy to these woods(and peanuts) I'd hate to be responsible for someones throat closing up because of the wood I sold them.
(11-30-2017, 09:55 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: And everyone including me said, "I never had a reaction" Turned it for 5 years before my first reaction

At some point, you passed the level of exposure that set you off.   

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Also, I developed adult onset asthma at 60, never thought that would happen.

I also know a few folks with reactions to turning walnut
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning