I had to Go and Open my Big Mouth
In recent project downtime, I've been catching up on some shop maintenance.  I buttressed the legs on my "Rubbo-legged" junk bench, changed my vise-jaw faces, etc.   I also had a small coffin-plane which needed tuning.

I have become a real fan of using the chip-breaker, and not so much a tight mouth.  For this woodie, the tight mouth was jamming with shavings, quite frustrating.  I found my wide chisel to be the right size to start opening things:

Here's a bottom view as the opening got to be about right to flow.  This happens to be a holm oak base, which I love
Smile

Now trying it out on a ripply piece of cherry, the chips are flowing pretty good, and the finish is good:

For the 'beauty shot', the plane really swooshes a shaving of sassafras:

Happy woodworking,
Chris
Chris
Pretty curlies.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Very nice!

How do you like the coffin body in use as opposed to a plane with a tote?
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(12-01-2017, 02:23 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Very nice!

How do you like the coffin body in use as opposed to a plane with a tote?

Well, more planes never hurt anyone
Smile

I like using a coffin plane in moderation.  For extensive planing it's hard to beat a plane with a tote for comfort and adjustability, though.

This said, I think certain coffin planes are just beautiful.  But sort of like with vintage saws, a really nice one is pretty uncommon.  I grabbed this one and I was aiming to make it cut very nice like a Krenov, but with more nostalgic character.
Chris
That "beauty shot" must have smelled wonderful.
Yes 

Sweet job on the tune up.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Some Coffin Planes did have a "tote"
Cool  

another view?
Confused  

Iron was by Butcher
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that