NAREX Classic vs Premium chisels
I think I may have seen additional variations advertised also.

The "Classic" ads emphasize the tapered lands, but I don't see this verbiage on the ads for "Premium".

Can someone help me understand the blade differences if any?

Thanks
Which premium chisels are you asking about?  Premium chisels are in general expected to be well designed for their intended purpose, while inexpensive chisels may be slapped together with little regard to utility.  I think the point with the Narex chisels is that though they are priced more like the tool shaped objects that may not meet minimal requirements, these are chisels whose design is reasonable.  The point of bevelling the edge of a chisel is to allow it to reach closer into a corner.  Apparently there are some bevel edged chisels that won't let you do that.  However not all purposes require it, so some premium chisels designed to do other things may not.
(12-03-2017, 03:14 PM)RB61 Wrote: I think I may have seen additional variations advertised also.

The "Classic" ads emphasize the tapered lands, but I don't see this verbiage on the ads for "Premium".

Can someone help me understand the blade differences if any?

Thanks

I think RB61 was trying to compare Narex Classic with Narex Premium chisels.

Lee Valley has the Classic chisels and states they have a narrow land. Highland Woodworking has the Premium chisels and they have the same profile as the ones that Lee Valley calls Classic. The difference one notices is that Lee Valley had theirs made to Imperial sizes, and the Highland Woodworking ones are in metric widths, and the Highland Woodworking chisels have very nice handles compared to the Lee valley ones. There is nothing at Highland Woodworking about the chisel lengths, but in terms of the shape of the chisel bodies, they seem to be identical. That's what I see.
(12-03-2017, 06:44 PM)Mark A Smith Wrote: I think RB61 was trying to compare Narex Classic with Narex Premium chisels.

Lee Valley has the Classic chisels and states they have a narrow land. Highland Woodworking has the Premium chisels and they have the same profile as the ones that Lee Valley calls Classic. The difference one notices is that Lee Valley had theirs made to Imperial sizes, and the Highland Woodworking ones are in metric widths, and the Highland Woodworking chisels have very nice handles compared to the Lee valley ones. There is nothing at Highland Woodworking about the chisel lengths, but in terms of the shape of the chisel bodies, they seem to be identical. That's what I see.

Mark,

Thanks for the information.
Don't know. I have some Narex chisels, and they are ok. It depends what you want. How much you plan to use them, and is hand tool work your emphasis, or just a diversion.

If you plan to use them often, and heavily, then cut to the chase and buy some keepers The Narex will be ok if you don't use them often. or mind sharpening every lineal foot.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Narex (Highland metric) were a good introduction to chizeling, vs hacking on framing. I wished I had read LV's specs closer, because the preference is imperial. I'm much happier beating on LV's mortise Narex. As it turns out, I like Japanese more than either Narex or LV bench chisels......
It appears as if I should have placed a colon between NAREX and Classic

NAREX: Classic vs Premium.
(12-03-2017, 09:56 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Narex (Highland metric) were a good introduction to chizeling, vs hacking on framing. I wished I had read LV's specs closer, because the preference is imperial. I'm much happier beating on LV's mortise Narex. As it turns out, I like Japanese more than either Narex or LV bench chisels......

Bruce;

I can't believe that you admit to liking Japanese chisels... I'm old, but my memory isn't gone yet....
Skip

(12-04-2017, 10:57 AM)Skip J. Wrote: Bruce;

I can't believe that you admit to liking Japanese chisels... I'm old, but my memory isn't gone yet....

I was just a kid when Dad griped about "cheap Japanese junk". If that's what you mean?

There is an assurance of grip, handling, and solid power with ori nomie (sp.). OTOH, they are a %^&$# to sharpen. LV are great but don't inspire brute force. But, next month I will likely love the Narex.
(12-04-2017, 11:41 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I was just a kid when Dad griped about "cheap Japanese junk". If that's what you mean?

To the OP: sorry about the hijack!  Must be the time of year...

Bruce:  Ummm nope, I seem to remember your 1st post was something about Japanese chisels, and it wasn't complimentary...

My Dad never said anything about the Japanese, he fought in Germany.  But he never bought anything from Japan or Germany as long as he lived.  My Dad was a throwback, if he didn't have anything good to say, he just didn't say anything.

Keep the reports coming on the Narex.... I have some of the Narex cranked chisels I'm gonna use someday for something...
Skip