Stoopid question....  No. 40  bevel up or down?
Just as I'm about to put my Stanley No. 40 back into working order after putting a 4" radius on the blade and then taking an hour to sharpen it, I forgot which way the bevel goes.  Ugh, growing old sucks.

Can somebody throw a brother a bone?  Thanks.
(12-03-2017, 06:24 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Just as I'm about to put my Stanley No. 40 back into working order after putting a 4" radius on the blade and then taking an hour to sharpen it, I forgot which way the bevel goes.  Ugh, growing old sucks.

Bevel down, the blade is bedded at 45 degrees.
(12-03-2017, 06:24 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: Just as I'm about to put my Stanley No. 40 back into working order after putting a 4" radius on the blade and then taking an hour to sharpen it, I forgot which way the bevel goes.  Ugh, growing old sucks.

A trick you can use on most planes.  Make the "Stanley" logo face you.

Regular bench planes are bevel down.
General rule #2, besides the logo-facing-you trick (the occasional Stanley cutting iron will be stamped on both sides): if the iron's bedded at 45 degrees or steeper, bevel down.  If it's at 20 degrees or less, bevel up.  If you find one in between, post a picture here and ask...
I cheated, since all those drugs from all those surgeries fried my memory....
I have a clipboard hanging over the sharpening bench where I work on all the planes with a matrix on which I write:
The make and the size,
the iron width, (needed to set the veritas honing guide - saves measuring every time.)
Iron angle and honing guide setup to obtain it.
Bevel up or bevel down for reassembly... (I also have a u or d in permanent marker under the cap iron... yeah, yeah, I know... but my memory sucks.)
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Stoofpid answer: Whichever way works best.  There was a time when internet-email did not exist, and the guy at the hardware store could be your worst enemy. Plead ignorant, and say it came to you that way, if someone corrects.