Garrett Hack's portable toolbox

ok, so the toolbox is boring, he uses an aluminum briefcase.  

http://www.finewoodworking.com/membershi...265024.pdf
probably have to give them your email

I thought this was really interesting.  I know there are low angle jack fans, but I have never been convinced.  However, the fact that it's lighter is a pretty good reason to carry one instead of something else.

I was hoping they would have a picture of the briefcase packed, but I guess he just wraps everything in bubble wrap.
  Re: Garrett Hack's portable toolbox by EricU (ok, so the toolbox i...)
Cool!

I think choice also includes intended instruction. Hack is noted for his scratch stocks. The space could be used by other tools also. I don't see extremely expensive tools, either. And, yes, a peek into the case would be fun.
Bruce
Given all the tools on his list, I kinda doubt they all fit in that petite aluminum briefcase.  An interesting article, nevertheless.  It's sort of in the genre of Schwarz's anarchist approach - a couple of years later.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I don't know, I was thinking they all fit. Wonder if it's worth asking them for a pic.  

Garrett Hack has been traveling around giving classes for a very long time, I don't figure he learned much from Schwarz
The club I belong to brought Garrett in for a class a little while back and he does get all those tools in that case. It's really kind of disheartening to watch what he can do with those few tools.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
What tools (that you rely on) are missing from Garrett Hack's toolbox?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at http://www.inthewoodshop.com
Went I have to go out & about to do a bit of work.....like building a loft bed at my daughter's place.....I toss what tools I think I'll need into a tote.....

That is a full size handsaw sitting in there.   I can carry all the tools for a job in this tote,  and still lift it with one hand.

Works for me Rolleyes Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
  Re: RE: Garrett Hack's portable toolbox by Derek Cohen (What tools (that you...)
(12-05-2017, 01:59 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: What tools (that you rely on) are missing from Garrett Hack's toolbox?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Given he's primarily a furniture maker, it might be unfair to say:

Drawknife
Lathe tools (gouges)
Carving tools
Adze
Rasps
Saw sharpening (saw set, triangular files)
Drilling Tool and bits (most curiously missing - maybe he uses nails or just glue, but...)
Mallet or hammer? (especially most curiously missing, given he has chisels)
Screwdrivers?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Well, if one wants to get picky I don't see a hammer or any type of drill either. Uhoh
  Re: RE: Garrett Hack's portable toolbox by Rick Barton (Well, if one wants t...)
(12-05-2017, 08:31 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Well, if one wants to get picky I don't see a hammer or any type of drill either. Uhoh

A #79 and a #271 fit the concept and are very useful.
Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
No Evaporust was used on these tools.