dear antler
I turned some Deer antler over the week end for Christmas gifts . it kind of a  fun relief, just a polished finished sand up to 400 then white diamond and wax

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Very nice. I have turned several projects with it. It requires sharp tools and a light touch. Some folks think it stinks, I didn't think it was that bad. I also only use wax as a finish.
Nice work!

The folks that think it stinks probably aren't wearing any form of dust mask or respirator!
Beautiful job,Woodshop.I have never turned it but would love to give it a try.The finish looks good.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(12-05-2017, 11:32 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Beautiful job,Woodshop.I have never turned it but would love to give it a try.

Mel

There might be some in this box 
Wink
Don

You did a swell job.  I have enough antler for a year since I pick up sheds or my wife and brother in law do when they look for Morel muchrooms.

If you can try sanding up to 1500g or better and you will really see the difference in finish.  I take mine to 12,000g and it is way better then any wax or shellac or other liquid finish.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-05-2017, 01:51 PM)crokett™ Wrote: There might be some in this box 
Wink

Since you do some casting try some antler in it to and see what you get.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-05-2017, 03:27 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Since you do some casting try some antler in it to and see what you get.

Interesting thought.   A lot of the antler is too small diameter to use otherwise.  Perhaps I'll try casting some of the pieces like the tips into a blank.
(12-05-2017, 03:47 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Interesting thought.   A lot of the antler is too small diameter to use otherwise.  Perhaps I'll try casting some of the pieces like the tips into a blank.

Thanks everyone  I don't find it any harder on tool edges than wood. it does tend to get sticky and build up on tool edges thou.  usual just scrape it off with my fingernail. if it were allot of turning it might be a different story.

I also have a lot of small tip pieces. it would be nice to figure a way to use them. I was wondering what glue might be best of holding pieces together for turning and treat it like scrap wood gluing them all together in a blank. only problem I see it the center core of larger pieces is softer then the outer and more pours. any thoughts?
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(12-06-2017, 09:34 AM)Woodshop Wrote: Thanks everyone  I don't find it any harder on tool edges than wood. it does tend to get sticky and build up on tool edges thou.  usual just scrape it off with my fingernail. if it were allot of turning it might be a different story.

I also have a lot of small tip pieces. it would be nice to figure a way to use them. I was wondering what glue might be best of holding pieces together for turning and treat it like scrap wood gluing them all together in a blank. only problem I see it the center core of larger pieces is softer then the outer and more pours. any thoughts?

You can get casting resin in small batches at hobby stores. I'd make a mold by gluing together pieces of  of scrap wood.  Leave one of the long sides open. Line it with plastic wrap as a release agent  then layer in some deer antler and pour in the casting resin then another layer of antler, etc until the mold is full.  mix the resin slowly and pour slowly.  tap the mold to get any air bubbles out.  you can also substitute epoxy for the resin.  You can use acrylic paint to color the epoxy/resin if you want, or you can paint the tubes before you do glue-up if you do a clear casting.

You can use 3/4 PVC as a mold but it's a lot harder to cast embedded materials since you are trying to stuff them in the end of the pipe. 

from experience, the resin and the antler will be different hardness, so sharp tools and light cuts to avoid blowing out the resin.