dear antler
I just found you can straighten antler by soaking in water or vinegar for a few days and boiling for 20 minutes, put in vice and tighten. I will have to try this, Vinegar I read will change color on the surface so I think water is what I will try , it could be a game changer
Cool
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(12-07-2017, 11:20 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I just found you can straighten antler by soaking in water or vinegar for a few days and boiling for 20 minutes, put in vice and tighten. I will have to try this, Vinegar I read will change color on the surface so I think water is what I will try , it could be a game changer
Cool

Hmm...

I may have to try that also, although I'll have to explain to my wife why I'm boiling deer antler.  
Laugh  Although mebbe I could fire up the grill and do it outside.
I used to make miniature goblets and wine glasses from Deer antler. Haven't done it in many years, but it was quick and fun.
Made pens, guitar pins and bridge/nut bones, whittled a long needle and a long toothpick for my olives.
I think I still have some 40 year old antler pieces out there somewhere.

Yeah- it stinks a bit like musty burnt hair.

I made use of a drill chuck by welding a nut on it and used that to hold small pieces.
Water and then boiling how long would I have to leave dry to use. Could I put them on the window sill in the sun to speed up the drying. I'm not going near her oven.
(12-08-2017, 01:25 PM)gear jammer Wrote: Water and then boiling how long would I have to leave dry to use. Could I put them on the window sill in the sun to speed up the drying. I'm not going near her oven.

I think your suppose to leave it in the clamp/vice until dry I haven't tried it yet.
Don's woodshop
More deer antler but not turned , made from a pampered chef that had a broken handle.  This piece of antler was grown for the job

[Image: pizzacutter.jpg][Image: pizzacutter1.jpg][Image: pizzacutter2.jpg]
Don's woodshop
(12-07-2017, 12:29 PM)crokett™ Wrote: Hmm...

I may have to try that also, although I'll have to explain to my wife why I'm boiling deer antler.  
Laugh  Although mebbe I could fire up the grill and do it outside.

I think the softer core of an antler can be stabilized and filled with a wood stabilizer...Pretty sure it would work better with a vacuum unit...I built one a couple years ago so I may try it with Gator Juice like I do on spalted woods.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Interesting thought. If you do that, drill out some of the center of the antler so it can better get inside and permeate the softer core. Just use a bit smaller than 7mm so you can still drill it larger for at least a 7mm pen or somesuch.