Fuel Stabilizer
(12-09-2017, 06:25 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I use stabil for storage. Not sure what it does for ethanol, if anything.

Nothing, but there are other treatments that are both a stabilizer and ethanol treatment.  Lucas Oil has one that is both.

Every can of gas I get for my small engines I put stabilizer and ethanol treatment in.  The one place that was any sort of convenient around here that sold ethanol free fuel doesn't sell it any more.
(12-08-2017, 04:00 PM)Admiral Wrote: You can often find it at general aviation airports, mostly at 100 octane.

All the marinas around here sell only ethanol-free 91 octane.  Shouldn't be any reason someone couldn't walk up to the fuel dock and fill up a portable can, especially since most of them make you take the portable cans off the boat for filling anyway.  
Laugh

Expensive at a marina, though.  But for what relatively gas my little my small engines use, I wouldn't care, and if the local Fastrac stops selling it, I'll use the closest marina (during the season, at least).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I've been using Marine Stabil but it seems like the price has doubled lately compared to regular Stabil. Oh well, it seems to be working so guess I'll stay with it.
It's supposed to treat for ethanol.
A few years ago, I borrowed a neighbors chainsaw. I put in some gas from my stash with StaBil in it and could not get the saw to start. My neighbor later dumped that out and put in some fresh gas and it started right up. I've never used StaBil again. I've since changed out all my gas powered equipment to electric, so I don't need to store gas any longer. I know that is not an option for every one.
(12-09-2017, 08:55 AM)DickA Wrote: It's supposed to treat for ethanol.

I'm never quite sure what that means, so I've never tried the 'marine' version.  And I avoid ethanol.  But I've always wondered if that's marketing, or if there's a valid benefit to ethanol-specific fuel treatments.

Found this marketing blurb by accident, but it doesn't really explain much.  

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/top...-debunked/
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Did you know that StaBil even has a shelf life? I didn't believe it so I went to their website and looked it up. I've been using Sea Foam since I found that out.
(12-08-2017, 09:11 AM)DickA Wrote: What one is best,  in your opinion, for gasoline/ethanol in small engines?

Pri G is another to consider. I have only used it for about a year and have had no issues.  

https://www.amazon.com/PRI-G-Fuel-Stabil...ords=pri+g

It's less expensive than Stabil   and claims to last longer. I have a generator that has ethanol gas with Pri-G and it starts every time on the first pull (a Harbor Freight Predator!). I also use it in 2 small engine mowers. It claims to even treat unttreated older gas (haven't tried this) and supposedly can be added yearly to Pri-G treated gas to go another year. If it continues 
to work, I'll use it over Stabil. 

There are lots of reviews on Youtube.
I drain the tanks and run them empty. The only thing I keep full of gas is my boat which gets seafoam. The large inboard tank can get condensation (so I read) if you don't keep it filled.
Never have used a stabilizer. 4 cycle or 2 cycle. Never have run a tool dry to store.

I used to work at a public utility, ran into many pieces of equipment that had rotten gas in them from sitting---mostly 12 months or longer. My mowers/weed eaters only sit 5 unused months max.
Both have ethanol. No problems yet---other than cheap Homelite weed eaters(refurbs for $49) only lasting four years. Bought an Echo this year---will see if I have a problem.
(12-10-2017, 11:25 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Never have used a stabilizer. 4 cycle or 2 cycle. Never have run a tool dry to store.

I used to work at a public utility, ran into many pieces of equipment that had rotten gas in them from sitting---mostly 12 months or longer. My mowers/weed eaters only sit 5 unused months max.
Both have ethanol. No problems yet---other than cheap Homelite weed eaters(refurbs for $49) only lasting four years. Bought an Echo this year---will see if I have a problem.

Ethanol is more of a problem for older machines.  It eats the fuel lines from the inside out.  Those bits will then migrate into the carb or fuel filter.  I have a 30 year old snow blower and a 25 year old outboard and since those need ethanol free, I just keep my gas cans filled with ethanol free gas.