Brush vs Brushless Cordless Drills
(12-09-2017, 05:29 PM)Steve N Wrote: I might be wrong but you don't strike me as the rush out to wait in a 12 hour line to by an I pone guy.
Big Grin

You're right about that - latest and greatest is definitely not my thing.  Almost everything I own, especially in the shop, is old (but kept in pristine operating condition), or cheap (pipe clamps are just fine for me), and in fact, most of the old stuff is more robust than most of the new stuff, unless you lay out a lot of cash.  At least IMO.

As I said, my vintage Skil drill was perfectly fine for my modest needs, and is only being replaced out of necessity.  I didn't want to take a chance on a used charger off ebay, since I fried my own, and then my late father's (thinking I got lucky, until I got unlucky), trying to charge a bad battery.  It's just time.    

(12-09-2017, 08:15 PM)EdL Wrote: Brushless offeres a more compact tool so it will be lighter. Around 50% longer runtime on a battery over brushed and more power.

My first brushless tool was a DeWalt 20v impact driver, with infrequent use, I darn near forgot where the charger was.  
Laugh

Ed

From what I can tell, opinions run from 'no benefit' to 'some benefit' including longer battery life and lighter tools, but no apparent down side other than a few bucks more.  But that includes a little larger battery (15% higher Ah rating), so there's that.

Thanks all for the input.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Who here would recommend Nicad batteries over Li-pos? Ten years from now brushed/ brushless power tools will be the same.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
I was really surprised recently when I saw that dewalt was still selling their non-lithium tools.  It's just nonsense for anyone to buy that tech nowadays.  I really doubt anyone has a stash of good batteries lying around.  I could see if they changed the color of the plastic and sold the same tool under a different brand name.

I decided I didn't want to spend a lot on tools right now and passed on any of the black friday deals.  I might buy a kit later, likely will go with brushless.  I expect it they will probably outlive their brushed counterparts.
DeWalt sells an adapter to use the new 20v batteries in the old tools....

The GM truck plant in Flint still issues the old nicad tools to the skilled trades guys......guess they figure the theft rate would be staggering it they switched.

Ed
(12-09-2017, 01:16 PM)TDKPE Wrote: snip. . .

It's a Christmas present.  For me.  So I guess I'll just give myself the brush-less version.  
Yes
Big Grin

If it is a Christmas present for you, get yourself the brush-less version -

and have someone that loves you get the brush version.

Then you will have both.  
Big Grin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
I can't say about other brands but with the Milwaukee tools that I have the brushless ones are much better than the older brush types. My new M12 burshless drill is almost as powerful as my old M18 brush drill. The batteries last much longer with the brushless tools also.
Earl
(12-11-2017, 08:51 PM)thooks Wrote: Nooooooo.  Not those UAW boys!

Sarcasm

Lol....

Ed
The DeWalt 20v are only marginally better than the 18v, it's mostly marketing blurb( 20 is better than 18.... ) If I was choosing between dewalt 20v or milwaukee m18 I'd probably go DeWalt for onsite work as they are built tough and have a slightly more comfortable grip for extended usage.
https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/brus...ors/18990/
Just weighing in on this.

When my old 14v drill set needed new batteries, I got a set of 12v makita because the set came with Lithium batteries for a little more than the cost of two replacement Nicads.  I figured the 12V covered a majority of my uses when I needed more torque I would use my electric drill.  When dangling off the side of the ladder or working over my head I appreciate the lightness of the smaller cordless.

I was at HD and impulse bought a brushed Ridgid 18V drill/driver combo.  Got home contemplated my purchase and ordered the brushless package that included circular and recip saws.  The torque on these things are impressive, I did not get to use the brushed motors to compare them but I can go almost a full day on one battery and don't see needing to use my corded drill ever again.
A carpenter's house is never done.