Saturday rust hunting
An area Bicycle shop I visited today has got newly increased respect from me....   I was picking up some parts for my wife's bicycle (she lately 'put the squeeze' on the bike between her car and the garage wall....), when I looked back in the shop's service Dep't and saw a mighty WILTON bullet vise on their bench.

Interesting dilemma on your Wilton.   I picked up a super-nice one a couple years ago and decided to sell it with a bit of profit on #bay.   Whenever I do metal-work I manage to be violent enough that I'll never keep a pristine vise for myself.   But I do like my tools to look sharp even if scarred.  Let us know what you end up doing with that guy!

Chris
Chris
[Image: 6HLuVjI.jpg]
[Image: 5fm8I4h.jpg]
[Image: hBhTPNB.jpg]
[Image: qYXshhf.jpg]

It's coming along. Did a bit of grinding on the vise jaws. What I found was that the previous owner had taken off the jaws and not replaced the screws. So he did what came naturally and welded the jaws to the vise. Lots of over-weld though. I tried to grind down to the top of the jaw but there was too much slag and my grinding disc began to wear down. So I took a metal cutting wheel and cut along the top of the jaw and then pounded the jaw out of the recess. What you might notice in some pics is a huge piece of slag missing. That piece is still on the jaw.

It shined up pretty well, but a few pits had to be left because of the depth of the pits. But with a coat of paint I think the vise will be just fine. I think I will try to source some new jaws and four jaw screws. I need a thread pitch and length and will do some research into that, unless some wonderful Wnn'er already have those numbers.

I found the jaws measured 4-1/2" wide. So I don't know if it is a four inch vise or a five inch vise. The base looks as thought it was once attached to a rotating base, but I don't know where it would be. Probably still on somebody's bench. On the bottom of the jaw slide is a number: 1 70 So I think it is a 1970 or a 1965 vise. Cannot be sure due to the warranty dating. But I don't care, I just want to clean it up and have a Wilton user.
You're going to have that old war horse looking pretty good.
Cool