A few more cleaned or restored hand planes.
Whew, I keep telling myself that I'm tired of this and can come back to these orphans in the near future. But no, thus far I keep pulling another one every day and starting in on it. Sheesh.
Crazy

My small Sargent contingent.

[Image: more_plane_resto_002.jpg] 
My next chore is my Sweetheart era carriage makers plane (#10) and a scraper plane (#12.)

[Image: more_plane_resto_006.jpg]

[Image: more_plane_resto_010.jpg]

And so it goes.
Wink
I guess perhaps I should point out that, depending on condition, I use 1 of 2 procedures on tools.

If in bad, rusty condition, I use Evapo-Rust and then use Mothers Mag Polish, and then oil the bejezzuz out of it.  

Otherwise its Mothers and oil.
(12-10-2017, 07:12 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: I guess perhaps I should point out that, depending on condition, I use 1 of 2 procedures on tools.

If in bad, rusty condition, I use Evapo-Rust and then use Mothers Mag Polish, and then oil the bejezzuz out of it.  

Otherwise its Mothers and oil.

Oh, those are beautiful Sargents! I've rehabbed a few (2 #4s, 2 #5s, and one #4 1/2), and love to use them (though I've thinned the herd).
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
Good work making them happy. I can see smiles all around.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(12-11-2017, 07:07 AM)Arch_E Wrote: Oh, those are beautiful Sargents! I've rehabbed a few (2 #4s, 2 #5s, and one #4 1/2), and love to use them (though I've thinned the herd).

Yeah Sargent made a nice looking plane and as you stated Archie, they work well too.
(12-11-2017, 07:26 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Good work making them happy. I can see smiles all around.

Thanks, Jim.
Smile
Oh, one other thing; I noticed the other day that this Sargent jointer is bigger than a Stanley #8. In other words its a brute!
Raised
I personally believe that you learn more about a hand plane and how to use it when you restore one. If you were to pull a new one out of the box you wouldn't get the feel for it. Enjoy
(12-11-2017, 01:54 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: I personally believe that you learn more about a hand plane and how to use it when you restore one. If you were to pull a new one out of the box you wouldn't get the feel for it. Enjoy

Agreed. I think we get a little more attached to them too.
Smile
(12-11-2017, 03:05 PM)Rick Barton Wrote: Agreed. I think we get a little more attached to them too.
Smile

Bloody addicting, ain't they?
Confused
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that