Shower problem - Knob won't turn water on
Alright men. This is a single stem, turn the knob a little bit turns the water on cold.. halfway for cold water at full flow, keep going for hot water... if that matters..

I think one of my kids hung on the handle... or repeatedly did...

Anyway, the knob has been acting up. Not turning smooth. I took it apart. This is what I found. I expected to be able to turn the brass stem with pliers and turn water on... no luck. Turning the stem does nothing... and doesn't feel smooth.

What has happened. What do I do?

Attached Files Image(s)

Not sure I am seeing what you found. Looks like a Moen? Is the valve stem bent? That outside sleeve should slide off. I believe there is a "C" spring holding in the valve. Gently pull out the "C" spring and the valve should slide out. Make a note (I take a couple pictures) of how it came out so the new one goes in oriented the same way. Don't force the new one in. If it hangs up a little, wiggle it till it goes.

The new valve should be lubricated. Pick up a little tube of Plumber's Faucet and Valve grease "Plumber's grease" when you buy the valve. It should be in the same area of the valves. Red and White tube "Oatly".
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Turn off the water to the mixing valve before you pull out the valve. Lowes or Depot should have the replacement. Take the old one with you. Sometimes they're color coded to help you find the right replacement.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-12-2017, 09:52 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Turn off the water to the mixing valve before you pull out the valve. Lowes or Depot should have the replacement. Take the old one with you. Sometimes they're color coded to help you find the right replacement.

So the valve itself is bad?  That's what I needed.  

To fix it do the following.. ?
1. Turn off water to that area of house.
2. take out C clip - I did see this behind the rubber gasket thing...
3. Take valve out? 
4. Buy replacement at HD
5. Push it in, clip it in, and re-assemble?

Anything I should be aware not to screw up?

Edit - I found this webpage. Sounds like it details the process well.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~bolo/house/moen.html

I will report back with success or horror story.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction. You guys are awesome.
(12-12-2017, 10:07 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: Anything I should be aware not to screw up?

It never hurts to cover the drain with a towel.

If you have trouble getting it apart, just call Moen. In my experience they have been very helpful. They've stayed on the line 'till I got it apart just to make sure I didn't need any other parts if something broke. I had already purchased a new valve I couldn't return, so they sent me two free. Several of my customers have had similar results. B.T.W., the " pull on and turn left/right for temp. cartridges look very similar, but the are not (always?) interchangeable.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(12-12-2017, 10:17 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: If you have trouble getting it apart, just call Moen. In my experience they have been very helpful. They've stayed on the line 'till I got it apart just to make sure I didn't need any other parts if something broke. I had already purchased a new valve I couldn't return, so they sent me two free. Several of my customers have had similar results. B.T.W., the " pull on and turn left/right for temp. cartridges look very similar, but the are not (always?) interchangeable.

Yep.  Take your cart. to the store to match it up.

Call Moen after and they'll likely send you a replacement you can keep in the bathroom for next time.

They're a pretty neat outfit.
(12-12-2017, 10:07 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: So the valve itself is bad?

I don't know. I'm not sure what the picture is supposed to be showing. Looks fine from my end. But if it won't turn, I assume the shaft is bent.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

you will probably need a Moen install tool.   I've got one for my one replacement so far. ... but I am ready!
WoodNET... the new safespace
(12-13-2017, 08:48 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I don't know. I'm not sure what the picture is supposed to be showing. Looks fine from my end. But if it won't turn, I assume the shaft is bent.

The picture was because I didn't know what the parts are called... 

here is the issue - When I turn the brass stem with pliars, it will turn... but water will NOT turn on.  There is nothing I can do to get water to come out of shower.

Still need new cartridge right?  or a different problem exists?