Toy Train Tracks Finish
Currently making wooden train tracks for grandbabies. Walnut and Cherry. I am considering leaving them unfinished. What would you all do?
While unfinished is a good idea (IMHO) I would worry about them becoming very dirty over time. I'd probably put some kind of clear coat on them...maybe something a little more durable than shellac. One of the better quality waterbornes (maybe) over the top of a coat of shellac (to prevent grain raising). I would think smoothing those out from raised grain could be a little tedious.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've seen the commercial tracks and they don't appear to have any finish at all.

An old wooden hanger manufacturer in Texas used to tumble the hangers in what looked like a clothes dryer along with hard balls of paraffin.  The paraffin rubs off on the wood and gives it an attractive finish that is probably safe for kids.  

Other than that, I would go with any food safe finish as this is going to be a child's play toy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I’d spray 2 coats of seal coat on them and then top with GF HP poly Satin sheen. I’d try to keep the overall mil thickness on the low side so the train wheels don’t bind.

I might try dipping in the Seal Coat.  Wait a few minutes and mop up the drip at the low point with a sponge brush.  You will get perfect coverage and it is going to be fast.  I've done this with amber shellac which is a heavier coating than Seal Coat.  I'm pretty sure it will work.  Nylon filament thread will be fine for hanging and will leave a tiny, tiny mark.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.