Mushroomed Plane Blades
(12-14-2017, 02:43 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Done by the same guy who used the lever cap as a screw driver.
No

For some reason, using the lever cap to loosen the screw on the cap iron, or chip breaker has rather recently been seen as being something an uninformed woodworker would do. A beginners mistake. 
To counter this idea please take a look at this video, one in a series by Phil Lowe. At about 1:30 minute he does this very thing. He has used this plane his entire career. I have taken classes from Phil and I can tell you he doesn't waste a movement that is unnecessary. He has made his living at the craft and is a study in economy of motion. His work is flawless and fast. 
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0BzReseHwU
(12-14-2017, 07:39 PM)John Walkowiak Wrote: For some reason, using the lever cap to loosen the screw on the cap iron, or chip breaker has rather recently been seen as being something an uninformed woodworker would do. A beginners mistake. 
To counter this idea please take a look at this video, one in a series by Phil Lowe. At about 1:30 minute he does this very thing. He has used this plane his entire career. I have taken classes from Phil and I can tell you he doesn't waste a movement that is unnecessary. He has made his living at the craft and is a study in economy of motion. His work is flawless and fast. 
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0BzReseHwU

It's his plane, he can do what he likes with it.  I would not choose to do that with my tools, when you can just as easily reach for a screwdriver.  In my view its got nothing to do with economy of motion, just a habit, and as far as my tools are concerned, a bad habit.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-14-2017, 08:49 PM)Admiral Wrote: It's his plane, he can do what he likes with it.  I would not choose to do that with my tools, when you can just as easily reach for a screwdriver.  In my view its got nothing to do with economy of motion, just a habit, and as far as my tools are concerned, a bad habit.
I agree...Gray cast iron is never used to make a screwdriver.
Crazy  There's a reason for it... It's way too brittle. You may get away with it for a long time, but it can come back to bite you. and we see the effects frequently....another thing I noticed regarding the use of the cap to tighten the screw is, the crown of the chipbreaker was not contacting the blade very closely, because it only took about a quarter turn to tighten the screw., and you can see that when it's in that position ready to be tightened, the breaker was very close to the blade itself..This is shown at about 23 minutes into the video...The breaker has more than one purpose..it also serves to "stiffen" the blade as well as to turn the shavings out of the throat. If it doesn't exert enough "force" to do that, you could experience "chatter" as the blade lifts away from the wood and then returns, only to be lifted again, making it chatter or vibrate...One of the things I check for when I restore a plane. If it needs "re-arching", I can do that in the bench vise.

But I will be the first to agree that Lowe is an outstanding furniture maker and author.
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-14-2017, 08:49 PM)Admiral Wrote: It's his plane, he can do what he likes with it.  I would not choose to do that with my tools, when you can just as easily reach for a screwdriver.  In my view its got nothing to do with economy of motion, just a habit, and as far as my tools are concerned, a bad habit.

How far do you have to carry your tools?

I can see this from an economy of weight perspective.
(12-15-2017, 10:14 AM)Anak Wrote: How far do you have to carry your tools?

I can see this from an economy of weight perspective.

If you don't remove the chip breaker it's going to make a really lousy chisel and the CB will no doubt have to be re-adjusted if you leave it in place while you chisel with it..Life's a trade-off....No "free" lunch..
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I am liking the "plane blade as chisel" explanation the more I digest it. The heavy bashing on plane blades seems to resemble the heavy bashing on mistreated socket chisels I have seen. I think they have a common source.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(12-15-2017, 01:23 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: I am liking the "plane blade as chisel" explanation the more I digest it. The heavy bashing on plane blades seems to resemble the heavy bashing on mistreated socket chisels I have seen. I think they have a common source.

I think we have to have a séance, and summon up the spirits of the long gone woodworkers, and ask them directly........

[Image: spooky_seance.jpg]

EDIT:  PS, we could also summon up Henry Disston and ask him why he put nibs on his saws.....
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-15-2017, 01:57 PM)Admiral Wrote: I think we have to have a séance, and summon up the spirits of the long gone woodworkers, and ask them directly........

EDIT:  PS, we could also summon up Henry Disston and ask him why he put nibs on his saws.....
Laugh

You start, I'll join.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-14-2017, 03:57 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Someone told me recently that tradesmen never sharpen anything, such as chisels.  They just toss and replace them.  I understand this mentality, but I don't have to like it, and certainly don't respect it.
I wonder how many old carpenter's tool boxes I have seen that had old, clogged up oilstones in them..some of them still in tin cans sitting in dried up kerosene..I have some of them..
Big Grin
Big Grin ..I expect that chisels cost a man a couple hours work and most could not afford to toss a dull tool away..And I have seen many a plane iron that was sharpened so much it was worn out....I know many sharpened their saws every day at the end of the shift.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

You know I was referring to modern tradesmen, right?