free shipping
Lee Valley have a two day only free shipping on right now.Dec.13 and 14 only. Check their website for details.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
LV really ticked me off a few years ago when I was going to order a simple little 3" piano hinge for 99 cents then wanted to tack on $15 for shipping.
I probably shouldn't have done it, but I gave them a piece of my mind and haven't been back since..
It could have fit into a plain envelope for the cost of a stamp..
Oh well..nearly everything they sell can be purchased elsewhere..
I'm not trying to badmouth LV.. Just one of those annoying things that could have been so simple to resolve and keep a customer, but they refused and we don't do business together as a result.
(12-14-2017, 09:45 AM)MartyRA Wrote: LV really ticked me off a few years ago when I was going to order a simple little 3" piano hinge for 99 cents then wanted to tack on $15 for shipping.
I probably shouldn't have done it, but I gave them a piece of my mind and haven't been back since..
It could have fit into a plain envelope for the cost of a stamp..
Oh well..nearly everything they sell can be purchased elsewhere..
I'm not trying to badmouth LV.. Just one of those annoying things that could have been so simple to resolve and keep a customer, but they refused and we don't do business together as a result.

"Not trying to badmouth Lee Valley" sure sounds like it to me. If you didn't like the shipping charge all you had to do was wait for free shipping,it comes up often.I have been on this forum for a lot of years and this is the first complaint I have heard about LV.They have a list of their standard shipping charges,which are available to anyone.If you find the shipping too much,like I said,wait for free shipping or buy elsewhere.I don't think they will miss your .99.

Mel
(12-14-2017, 03:55 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: "Not trying to badmouth Lee Valley" sure sounds like it to me. If you didn't like the shipping charge all you had to do was wait for free shipping,it comes up often.I have been on this forum for a lot of years and this is the first complaint I have heard about LV.They have a list of their standard shipping charges,which are available to anyone.If you find the shipping too much,like I said,wait for free shipping or buy elsewhere.I don't think they will miss your .99.

Mel

Except you have to spend $40 to get free shipping.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
(12-14-2017, 04:14 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: Except you have to spend $40 to get free shipping.

Pedro

You can go to Amazon.  There you only need to spend $25 to get free shipping.  Of course you could pay the $100 bribe to get better service.

The industry seems to be embracing free shipping when the order is over some low dollar limit.  I do wish Lee Valley would follow suit.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Does LN ever give free shipping offers? It seems like they do at a show but if you don't live near a show then what?

Does rockler? I don't know the answer.

Woodcraft? I don't know that either...i drive to one.

Who else  is in this product type line? 

I for one appreciate the service I have received from LV....if I don't like the shipping I don't pay it.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
A lesson on shipping metal items as letters. I was sending 3d printer barrels i turn in little bubble wrap lined yellow paper envelopes. My shipper rang them up and metered them as letters. Turns out those packages go through automated high speed sorting chutes designed for letter widths and the barrels kept getting damaged in the lines. I talked with USPS and i started having them sent as packages which does cost a lot more but i had zero damage after that. Turns out the package lines run on conveyors that have a lot more space and forgiving automation. Be glad hardware comes as a package vs stamped mail meant for letters.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

FFT: Companies have standard practices because, often, doing the unusual results in errors.
In the long run, it costs them more.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(12-14-2017, 04:14 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: Except you have to spend $40 to get free shipping.

Pedro

Sorry,Pedro,I didn't add that stipulation,slipped my mind.Seniors moment.

Mel
(12-14-2017, 07:20 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: Sorry,Pedro,I didn't add that stipulation,slipped my mind.Seniors moment.

Mel

Hatin on LV won't go over very well around this joint.

They've been nothing but fabulous every time I have dealt with them.