A really neat thought on getting wood to turn with
Black walnut is a joy to turn. You need to wear a mask though. At least I do.
(12-20-2017, 03:37 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............
In addition to native species, we have many exotics such as Camphor, Indian Rosewood,  Tamerind,, Liptus, Silky Oak, Beefwood and lots more that do not come right to mind..I have a huge Camphor tree within 150ft of where I am sitting...And Black Walnut trees are not too uncommon just north of Orlando.

Jack

If you can get any of those in log form let me know, I might think about renting a UHaul to come and get them.
Yes
Yes
Yes

I and my wife love me turning Camphor wood and it sells nicely to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-18-2017, 10:24 AM)AHill Wrote: Well, I am moving, but not to NC.  I'm moving to Orlando, Florida next month.  Still not a lot of forests, but way more trees than the desert!

When you get settled in Orlando, let me know. I am only three hours away and get up there fairly often.

There is also an amazing Lumber dealer in Sarasota (2 hours from Orlando) that does urban logging. They sell some simply astounding exotics all sawn from locally downed tree. Especially after Irma, they have quite a lot of stock.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(12-21-2017, 12:17 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Jack

If you can get any of those in log form let me know, I might think about renting a UHaul to come and get them.
Yes
Yes
Yes

I and my wife love me turning Camphor wood and it sells nicely to.
Arlin, I spoke to the lady that owns the big camphor tree behind my property and asked her to call me when she gets ready to take that tree down..It is HUGE and covers her entire back lot and over her roof..The trunk must be over three ft diameter. It's still in good shape tho and survived near hurricane force winds last Sept.
We have some huge Honduras Mahogany trees growing here and some really large Silky Oaks..I have seen them pushing 90ft.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-21-2017, 08:27 PM)handi Wrote: When you get settled in Orlando, let me know. I am only three hours away and get up there fairly often.

There is also an amazing Lumber dealer in Sarasota (2 hours from Orlando) that does urban logging. They sell some simply astounding exotics all sawn from locally downed tree. Especially after Irma, they have quite a lot of stock.
Also a fellow in Plant City fl with a huge variety of native and exotics..He is pushing them on Craigs List.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset