Diamond Edge Planes
Does anyone have information on DE planes? I know their history but I don't know how the numbering system works. I have a 5, and a 5 1/2 that are marked. I also have a couple that measure 9 3/4" but are not marked. The lever cap and blade are marked with the logo but the plane bottom is not marked. Another question I have is what is their value compared to a Stanley? If the plane is to be a user does jappaning have value as opposed to paint? Also what do you think the max temperature a plane should be subject to?  I have almost gotten my surface grinder ready and have started cleaning some up. Here is the procedure I have planned.

1. Bead blast the bottom and frog to remove all rust and jappaning.
2. Clean and polish the lever cap, chipbreaker, and blade.
3. Clean and polish all hardware.
4. Re-japan frog and bottom.
5. Grind.
6. Clean and refinish tote and knob. Replace when necessary. 

I am also planning on setting up to nickel plate when necessary. It is my opinion that a restored item should look just like it did when new.

Most of you have more experience with using planes than I do so I value your opinion.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
Had a #6c come through the rehab shop.....was NOT a pretty sight....
No
On a happier note....
Winkgrin 

A DE5 also came through...

And cleaned up rather nicely...
Yes 

Diamond Edge planes were "let out" to one of the big plane makers as a contract,  DE  did not make any.....

As for that DE6c?

This is after it came out of the shipping box........in several pieces.....refund paid for a new base casting.....couldn't save the handles....either,
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that