Diamond Edge Planes
Does anyone have information on DE planes? I know their history but I don't know how the numbering system works. I have a 5, and a 5 1/2 that are marked. I also have a couple that measure 9 3/4" but are not marked. The lever cap and blade are marked with the logo but the plane bottom is not marked. Another question I have is what is their value compared to a Stanley? If the plane is to be a user does jappaning have value as opposed to paint? Also what do you think the max temperature a plane should be subject to?  I have almost gotten my surface grinder ready and have started cleaning some up. Here is the procedure I have planned.

1. Bead blast the bottom and frog to remove all rust and jappaning.
2. Clean and polish the lever cap, chipbreaker, and blade.
3. Clean and polish all hardware.
4. Re-japan frog and bottom.
5. Grind.
6. Clean and refinish tote and knob. Replace when necessary. 

I am also planning on setting up to nickel plate when necessary. It is my opinion that a restored item should look just like it did when new.

Most of you have more experience with using planes than I do so I value your opinion.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
(12-14-2017, 07:27 PM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: Does anyone have information on DE planes? I know their history but I don't know how the numbering system works. I have a 5, and a 5 1/2 that are marked. I also have a couple that measure 9 3/4" but are not marked. The lever cap and blade are marked with the logo but the plane bottom is not marked. Another question I have is what is their value compared to a Stanley? If the plane is to be a user does jappaning have value as opposed to paint? Also what do you think the max temperature a plane should be subject to?  I have almost gotten my surface grinder ready and have started cleaning some up. Here is the procedure I have planned.

1. Bead blast the bottom and frog to remove all rust and jappaning.
2. Clean and polish the lever cap, chipbreaker, and blade.
3. Clean and polish all hardware.
4. Re-japan frog and bottom.
5. Grind.
6. Clean and refinish tote and knob. Replace when necessary. 

I am also planning on setting up to nickel plate when necessary. It is my opinion that a restored item should look just like it did when new.

Most of you have more experience with using planes than I do so I value your opinion.
I was wondering if you plan to copper plate prior to plating nickel. I never did, and can't recall any copper plating under the nickel on other planes like stanley.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-14-2017, 07:32 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ......................
I was wondering if you plan to copper plate prior to plating nickel. I never did, and can't recall any copper plating under the nickel on other planes like stanley.

I have not seen any copper plating and I don't plan on it.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
I've got a DE No. 7 and No. 8. Both work well, yet I like the 7 best. The handles are plastic(?) or some sort of man made material and the blade on the 7 is sweet. I just love it. That's all I got.
Why not just invest in NOS planes that have collector value?  After all of the work and cost that you will have in your restored planes, they really won't have much value premium over what you paid for them.  Restored antiques are not coveted by the collector community because "restored" can be confused with "original", and that is not honest.  If you are just doing it for yourself because you like the process, then go for it.  What you never want to do is restore a truly rare antique.  How many times have you seen something devalued on Antiques Roadshow because someone had removed decades of patina with some kind of polish or cleaner?

It sounds to me like you just want to have some nice user tools.  Removing the rust and grunge from a $25.00 plane and then learning to sharpen and adjust it is the ticket.  Or, you can pay just a bit more for a plane from one of the S&S sellers here and have it ready to go right out of the box.  Plenty of those planes will have the almost new look you seem to be looking for, just because they were well cared for, or sat unused for decades.
(12-14-2017, 07:43 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: I've got a DE No. 7 and No. 8.  Both work well, yet I like the 7 best.  The handles are plastic(?) or some sort of man made material and the blade on the 7 is sweet.  I just love it.  That's all I got.

Plastic was actually a hard rubber called Gutta Percha.....Had a DE6c with one......not sure if the front one was ever the same stuff.

Never knew who actually made the planes......Diamond Edge was like Sears......the big plane makers would bid on a contract to make the planes.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-14-2017, 07:34 PM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: I have not seen any copper plating and I don't plan on it.

I don't think it's necessary either..I still have some of my watchmaking tools that I nickel plated directly on the steel about 40years ago and they aren't peeling. But some platers recommend it.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-14-2017, 09:44 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Plastic was actually a hard rubber called Gutta Percha.....Had a DE6c with one......not sure if the front one was ever the same stuff.

Never knew who actually made the planes......Diamond Edge was like Sears......the big plane makers would bid on a contract to make the planes.

IIRC, Ohio Tool made some of them for Shapleigh Hwd , under contract as you say. The skew lever is sometimes a clue to who made them.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(12-14-2017, 08:04 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Why not just invest in NOS planes that have collector value?  After all of the work and cost that you will have in your restored planes, they really won't have much value premium over what you paid for them.  Restored antiques are not coveted by the collector community because "restored" can be confused with "original", and that is not honest.  If you are just doing it for yourself because you like the process, then go for it.  What you never want to do is restore a truly rare antique.  How many times have you seen something devalued on Antiques Roadshow because someone had removed decades of patina with some kind of polish or cleaner?

It sounds to me like you just want to have some nice user tools.  Removing the rust and grunge from a $25.00 plane and then learning to sharpen and adjust it is the ticket.  Or, you can pay just a bit more for a plane from one of the S&S sellers here and have it ready to go right out of the box.  Plenty of those planes will have the almost new look you seem to be looking for, just because they were well cared for, or sat unused for decades.
Why on earth would I spend my cash on a tool, that I would be afraid to do anything to, that doing so would devalue it in some way?   When I buy these old tools, I prefer ones I can restore and actually put to work.  By doing the restore on these old tools, not only do I get a tool to use, I also learn about the tool, and how to set it up for use.    Buy one ready to go right out of the shipping box..teaches one merely how to open the box.   Real skill builder, there...ain't it?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-18-2017, 08:53 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Why on earth would I spend my cash on a tool, that I would be afraid to do anything to, that doing so would devalue it in some way?   When I buy these old tools, I prefer ones I can restore and actually put to work.  By doing the restore on these old tools, not only do I get a tool to use, I also learn about the tool, and how to set it up for use.    Buy one ready to go right out of the shipping box..teaches one merely how to open the box.   Real skill builder, there...ain't it?
You posted to get responses, right?