Diamond Edge Planes
(12-18-2017, 10:39 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: You posted to get responses, right?
As did you?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-18-2017, 11:23 PM)bandit571 Wrote: As did you?

In all fairness, I think Mike was making the point that if OP wants an end result of NOS "looking" planes, then invest in truly NOS-like examples, which, by the way, don't need any "restoration" work and presumably would retain value.  I don't think he implied that you couldn't use them if the OP went in that direction.  Similarly, I see your point about buying tools to restore to working shape, but I don't think that you would go to the extent of stripping and rejappaning them to original condition, but rather simply to put them into shape and tune them for use.

Cosmetics are one thing, usable tools are another.  I've rehabbed literally dozens and dozens of planes in the last 25 years, and have yet to strip a plane and repaint it with engine paint, much less rejappan them, nor have I reground one (I've lapped to the point of making them usable, for sure, but only when they needed it).  Simply clean, adjust, check mating surfaces, sharpen, tune chipbreaker and repair tote and knob cracks, and you're 99% to getting yourself a usable and productive tool out of a neglected and perhaps misused tool.  I am firmly in the less is more camp.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-18-2017, 08:53 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Why on earth would I spend my cash on a tool, that I would be afraid to do anything to, that doing so would devalue it in some way?   When I buy these old tools, I prefer ones I can restore and actually put to work.  By doing the restore on these old tools, not only do I get a tool to use, I also learn about the tool, and how to set it up for use.    Buy one ready to go right out of the shipping box..teaches one merely how to open the box.   Real skill builder, there...ain't it?

Or it could just cut down on the grunt work someone might not be interested in doing? Not everyone wants to derust, wire wheel or lap a plane body and polish up screws and brass. The hand plane isn't a mystical being, its complexities aren't mind altering, adjusting frog screws, depth adjuster and a lateral adjuster are something that can be learned from a 5-10 minute YouTube video. Being able to feel and see the correct adjustment isn't going to be learned by setting the tool up or cleaning it, only by use will you gain that knowledge and opening that shipping box gets to that point faster (especially if you don't have the time to garage sale hunt all day everyday).

Please stop posting this bologna in every thread about planes. If anything cleaning up a plane is more likely to turn someone off than onto them, and sharpening the blade is 90% of what really matters.
Honestly, I didn't notice that the Bandit was not the OP. My advice was correctly restated by Admiral, and much appreciated.  As for Bandit...start your own topic
Rolleyes, preferably elsewhere.
(12-19-2017, 10:38 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: Honestly, I didn't notice that the Bandit was not the OP. My advice was correctly restated by Admiral, and much appreciated.  As for Bandit...start your own topic
Rolleyes, preferably elsewhere.

I will bloody well start a topic anywhere I so choose.  
Raised
Smirk   I have indeed have my "own"  topic going right now.....whether YOU are allowed to post there...
Sleep
Sleep
Sleep or not....
Crazy
(12-14-2017, 10:02 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........
IIRC, Ohio Tool made some of them for Shapleigh Hwd , under contract as you say. The skew lever is sometimes a clue to who made them.

Jack, didn't Shapleigh also market Keen Kutter tools?
Have had a DE5 come through the shop a while back....

Was a bit rusty when it got here...

Maybe a better look?
Confused 

Many years ago, I received a  beat up mailing box.  Inside it was SUPPOSED to be a DE6c
Uhoh 

This plopped out first.....
Angry  

Followed by this...thing
Upset 
Refund paid for a new base base casting.   Rear handle came off in ten pieces.....made a new, wooden handle.   Iron, chipbreaker, lever cap needed a bit of clean up, was able to re-use the frog, as well.....
In years past, I had a DE 4-1/2, 5, and a 7. Tuned, they all worked as good as a tuned stanley.
I didn't care for the plastic looking totes. Made them look cheap cheap. The knobs were wood.
I always thought that was strange to have the materials mixed on the knob and tote.

I later sold/traded them off
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-19-2017, 07:21 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: In years past, I had a DE 4-1/2, 5, and a 7. Tuned, they all worked as good as a tuned stanley.
I didn't care for the plastic looking totes. Made them look cheap cheap. The knobs were wood.
I always thought that was strange to have the materials mixed on the knob and tote.

I later sold/traded them off

Yeah, you have to wonder how much they actually saved per unit?
Uhoh
Confused
Again....those "plastic-looking" handles were made from a hard rubber called ''Gutta Percha" and were molded.   Same stuff that Stanley used for their WW2 era depth adjuster wheels.  The one from the DE6c had  "Diamond Edge" logo  molded into the sides of the handle, and a textured surface to improve the grip....