Anyone else trying Alfie Shine wax ?
In case you haven't heard of it; here in the USA it would be most likely seen through www.wkfinetools.com; Jim Hendricks has developed and is selling "Alfie Shine" hard wax.  Now it's available through a few popular online sellers.

I've been using it, and would love to hear from others what they think.

Impressions over the last few months:

Assets:
- Acts as an effective cleaner; it always pulls dark dirt off the piece you're applying it to (particularly for tools).
- Very nice aroma, all natural, almost sacramental smell.
- Will fully mask other bad aromas, such as prior turpentines, on the piece.
- Nice sheen on the finish.

Things to get used to:
- Not an 'instant on, instant off' wax like Briwax.  It takes some time to cure.  Depending on how you read the instructions, 2 days before adding any extra coats.  I *think* it means also waiting 2 days before buffing, but the tin-instructions aren't worded exactly enough to say.
- My impression is that it's more finicky on surface preparation than some other waxes.  In other words, you have to be more conscientious on the sanding or burnishing of the surface, before adding this wax.  It doesn't hide finish flaws much at all.
- A sense of mystery... it has resins such as "copal"... how much of what you see is wax, and how much is resin?

Anyway, here is a picture.   The coffin plane has been treated with Alfie Shine.  Also, the (bare) QS Oak piece has Alfie Shine only on the left portion, starting at the location of the tin-can, and going left.

Happy woodworking,
Chris
Chris
Meet Alfie!

I haven't used the wax for very long, but like what I see so far. It is a little pricey at $14, so I only use it for special projects. I agree that the scent is unlike any other wax on the market. Several biblical resins including frankincense and myhrr are used in the formulation. There is a hint of cinnamon too. My wife cannot stand the smell of petroleum-based waxes, but this one she likes.

[Image: 24200041137_029cbb3538_c.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Never tried Alfie..I have used Kiwi or Esquire paste shoe wax for over 60 years and I am too old to change. If it was good enough for the U.S. Marine's dress shoes...it's good enough !!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Well, lucky me!   Combining recent Woodnet threads, I tried Alfie Shine on my LN102 adjuster nut, and it's the best thing yet for that spot... so far.

Chris
Chris
Just some fun with scrap oak, elm, a couple of saws, a plane, a chisel, and Alfie Shine:

Happy woodworking!
Chris
I decided to order a tub, got It yesterday. It smells nice, but it'll have to be a really good polish to get a 2nd order at its price point.
Raised
I've since gone through this tin and have started another.

[Image: 18580990_1908212995871116_8918607904924237824_n.jpg]

I use the stuff religiously in my plane restorations, and my friend Jim who made it, made it with the utmost preservation goals in mind. I use it on my saws and planes as well for regular use.

It does fairly well as a cleaner, also. If a plane I'm going to restore doesn't need elbow grease and water, I use only Alfie Shine.

Continental Plane Before: https://www.instagram.com/p/BS4v3F1llmj/...ckenbushww
Continental Plane After (buyer didn't want wedge replaced/fixed):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BS50Q4cFpx4/...ckenbushww
Freelance Animator & Motion Artist, JQuack Design
Quackenbush Woodworks
(02-09-2018, 08:29 AM)JQuacker Wrote: I've since gone through this tin and have started another.

[Image: 18580990_1908212995871116_8918607904924237824_n.jpg]

I use the stuff religiously in my plane restorations, and my friend Jim who made it, made it with the utmost preservation goals in mind. I use it on my saws and planes as well for regular use.

It does fairly well as a cleaner, also. If a plane I'm going to restore doesn't need elbow grease and water, I use only Alfie Shine.

Continental Plane Before: https://www.instagram.com/p/BS4v3F1llmj/...ckenbushww
Continental Plane After (buyer didn't want wedge replaced/fixed):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BS50Q4cFpx4/...ckenbushww
Here's what Chris Pye uses on his wood carvings...If you want a harder wax, just add more carnauba wax to the beeswax and let it cool to test the consistency..It smells pretty good but to make it smell even better, just add a few drops of lavender oil to the melted wax...The more carnauba you add, the higher shine you can get..and the more metal and wood protection. The heat from a hair dryer causes the wax to penetrate deeper into the wood...It's also good for leather protection and it puts a nice shine on shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5-yIx2rJkQ
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset