I miss Walt
Sad
Sad
Sad
"You can't always get what you want"
Yes. Interesting man
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Me too. I got an alert on Facebook a couple of days ago that it was his birthday.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Years ago when I spent a lot of time in CT on business, I got to meet the man in his store in Waterbury, nice guy, I think of him often. As you get older, you consider your own mortality.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-15-2017, 06:55 PM)RoundToit Wrote: I miss Walt
Sad
Sad
Sad

I too, miss Walt.

In May of '15 I wrote one of the mods here and suggested renaming the hand tool forum in Walt's honor.
My email shows that he wrote back and said he'd float the idea, but I never heard anything more.
(12-15-2017, 06:55 PM)RoundToit Wrote: I miss Walt
Sad
Sad
Sad

Walt was a good guy. Never met him but interacted with him here from time to time.
Thank you for bringing Walt up. I met him once about 10 years ago in his Waterbury store. I went there to buy some old tools he had picked up in one of his flea market journeys. I remember he had on display, in the record section of his store, an old tool chest filled with old tools. He was so proud of that "find" that he talked about it as though it was the holy grail. I can't think of anyone who had a greater respect for the tools and toolmakers of the past. I am sure glad I got to meet him. A great guy.
I treasure the humble #4 I got from him as my first smoother after he talked to me about my needs and suggested it was a better match than a more expensive collector's plane I'd called him to buy. Many years later I did get to meet him, and he remembered talking to not only me, but also to my brother and my mom, who used to get us old tools as presents.

I feel sorry for all the people who won't get to talk to him, the best part of a tool order.
I was driving by the exit I would take to go to Walt's store. Many a time I would stop in and enjoy our discussions. I also was thinking it's a good thing he didn't see the day Trump was elected. Although it would have added to the discussions.
"You can't always get what you want"
Great guy!  I miss his weekly rust hunting posts.  I remember lamenting about a missing spring on a brace I had purchased from someone else on eBay and he - totally unsolicited - sent me a replacement spring.  That impressed me so much I did several transactions with him after that.  It was cool to hear him talking on the phone, rummaging through his back room for a specific tool he'd advertised.  Walt Q was the epitome of the kind of hand tool aficianado who was more concerned about sharing his knowledge and resources than he was about making a buck.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill