Making a Sea Urchin Ornament
Here's my contribution to making ornaments:

I wish I was that good with a skew, both sharpening and using it.

Thats's very nice work. I can't show that to my wife or she'll want one.
Nice job Frank,I have never made the finials in one piece before,usually make a piece to fit in the urchin and then make the finial.I like your method better.Thanks for the video.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
nice
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
[Image: 76060-200.png]
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

Thanks everyone.  I'm trying to shoot more videos.
My only gripe is your video didn't show off the final product long enough.  Blink and you missed it.  Watching the first part of the video I was trying to figure how you were going to make an urchin out of that turning.
Rolleyes  Nice job!
Frank

I loved the work you did and came out nice.
Yes

Crockett

He did not do any skew work.  He only used it as a scrapper.
If you really want to learn how to use it take a pine 2x2x8 and my the time you are done you will know how to use it.

You can use the heal or the toe or in the center or lower 1/3 for what you call skew work.  I highly encourage you to not make anything for a while and just use the skew as I said.  You will have it down in a day.  Check out a few YouTube videos and see how they use it and you will do fine.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-16-2017, 02:06 PM)Phil S. Wrote: My only gripe is your video didn't show off the final product long enough.  Blink and you missed it.  Watching the first part of the video I was trying to figure how you were going to make an urchin out of that turning.
Rolleyes  Nice job!

Yeah, I agree.  I think for a future one I would put a still photo of the completed ornament at the end.

Arlin, that is a skew.  I think there's glare so you can't see the bevel.  Sometimes I slice with it, and sometimes drop it down to scrape.
(12-16-2017, 04:44 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Yeah, I agree.  I think for a future one I would put a still photo of the completed ornament at the end.

Arlin, that is a skew.  I think there's glare so you can't see the bevel.  Sometimes I slice with it, and sometimes drop it down to scrape.

Yes I knew it was a skew but it was mostly used as a scrapper which I was telling Crockett instead of planning the wood like most people think it is mostly used for or how it got its bad rep.
Yes

I can say while planning many times while learning I got some HUGE catches that I had to go change my diaper. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.